Author Topic: Looking for set-up help on 3/8 mile banked track  (Read 27131 times)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Looking for set-up help on 3/8 mile banked track
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 08:38:31 pm »
I am sure that you understand that they are two different tracks and banking. Going to be different on set up for both tracks.
Spring rates will differ. Tire pressures. Stagger. Etc.........Gearing may be different. Lots of stuff to take into account when running more than one track.
Lots of notes and set up sheets are the order of business. There are a few good "general" set ups on the site. They are still going to need "tweeking" to each individual trak and driver style.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline cruzinlow71

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 08:47:51 pm »
Gimpster, I just want to make sure I understood you right. You said the "fast guys" are running springs rated under 100 pounds? How high does the car need to be so it doesnt bottom out the shock? I have close to the same springs as Rocket has and I push that little green thing on the shock all the way up every run. Im curios as to how to make 100 pound springs work thanks in advance.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 08:52:46 pm »
The Ol' Gimpster likes to run his cars and set ups very soft.
NOT for everyone.

Steve

Offline rocket28z

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 09:08:31 pm »
I've heard similar things about soft springs being the way to go from multiple drivers.
Cruzin, I have similar results with my stiffer shocks, little green tattletale is all the way up after a run - so good question!

Gimpster

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 09:14:01 pm »
 I will PM you in a sec...something is keeping me from sending pms

~G~

Gimpster

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 09:14:45 pm »
Yup Steve, rough tracks don't upset the chassis and driver input can manipulate the roll center  ;D

~Gimp~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 09:24:43 pm »
Not every track is smooth. Pavement requires less shock travel than dirt tracks (for the most part).
There are paved tracks that have rough transitions from straights to turns. Very soft springs are going to bottom and cause the car to be twitchy.
I like your thoughts on starting with (say)  200# springs on the front. See how the car handels, or feels to the driver. The left and right front springs are going to vary according to track configuration. Rear spring selection will vary also.

Steve

Gimpster

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 09:36:11 pm »
Just relaying input from techno chats with asphalt friends who have raced it for years, and they are saying the old stiff spring ways are being beaten in the past few years by softer spring wars. They are trying to keep up with the changes.. lol not all based on my dirt preference

~G~

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 09:39:59 pm »
lol! I know... I get it Gimp.
A lot of these guys are new. It may cause more problems for them than good.
Good food for thought though. ;)

Steve

Offline slotwho

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 02:02:06 pm »
Hi guys I am reading this and have several questions but mostly what is a set up with the springs that the "FAST GUYS" are running. on a 3/8 mile banked track??????

We are running  LF-250, RF- 280, RR 200 and LR 190. We run 3/8 and 1/4 mile tracks, high bank asphalt up here in Michigan. I have noticed that my shocks are fully compressing and was going to go to heavier springs to try and slow the roll of the car...........I read this and cant figure how we can go light if the shocks are bottoming out already??????? I am thinking that if we use lighter springs we will be dragging on the track.......please tell me where I am wrong?

Please advise,

Barry

Offline ozzie

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 09:40:05 pm »
Something to try.
LF 275 RF300
LR185 RR200 (225 if coupe)
Get the left wheels as close to the frame as legal. 6 1/8 on the LR to the drum. LF control arm from center of ball joint to center of heim should be around 14 7/8 - 15 inches. Right is 17 3/16.
47.5% cross
Max length on left, 72 7/8 on right side.
Get rear end as close to front of the car as possible (measure 5 1/2 from the back of the tube to the back of the upright frame piece in the back. Both sides.
LF Lower control arm should angle towards the front of the car by  tenth of an inch (1/2 inch spacer). RF Lower should be the same distance across the cross member (1/4 inch spacer).
Camber LF 3.5, RF 5 7/8
Caster LF 1.75, RF 4.25
Tire pressures
LF19 RF25.5
LR16.5 RR 25

Good Luck. Have had great success with this setup.
OZZIE

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 08:38:44 am »
Ozzie gave you a great starting point but one thing to remember is how heavy is your driver. We have four cars and springs change a little from driver to driver because some of us are better eaters than others..... ;D
Use that as a starting point but don't be afraid to change some things
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline amp racing

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 08:53:02 am »
any ride heights? don't know how you guys get low cross to work we can't 47.5 but 50.5 works for us..[sedan]

joe

Offline ozzie

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 10:13:01 am »
LF 3 5/8  RF3 7/8
LR3 7/8  RR4

We are running a Sedan. We run 47.5 we good weather 65-80 degrees and run up to 48.4% when hot and muggy. I have a 185lb driver. This setup seems to work on a 3/8ths pretty banked track....also works on 1/4 mile track but we lossen it up for that track by putting 3/4 turn in RR.

Offline pucky

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2013, 08:49:50 pm »
CASTERS ARE BOTH POSITIVE ?

anything