Author Topic: Metal Fuel Cell replacing plastic  (Read 7167 times)

Offline stroutmail

• In my younger days!
    • Follow the Son Racing
Metal Fuel Cell replacing plastic
« on: June 11, 2013, 10:30:31 am »
I have a 2005 black fuel cell--looks like it is in fair shape, but thinking about replacing it.

Is the metal fuel cell interchangeable--can it be installed without modifying frame like I've read is needed when buying a new plastic fuel cell?

Seems like the metal one is a bit safer but also a bit heavier.

knoxracing

Re: Metal Fuel Cell replacing plastic
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 01:26:05 pm »
The metal cell is a MUCH safer cell for sure. It should fit in the frame area you have now. The only problem you may encounter are the threaded studs being to short. I have seen guys use threaded rod coupler and lock tight to extend the threaded rod. There was plenty of thread and it seemed fine to me.  Your other option would be to remove the threaded rod and weld new on. Welding new on would be pretty simple to and would not require you cutting any tubing that surrounds the cell.

Offline stroutmail

• In my younger days!
    • Follow the Son Racing
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 04:48:05 pm »
Thank you very much.   In NJ they have a rule requiring the use of bolts, rather than the threaded rod welded to the frame. I have not seen that yet.  Rules" 6.) Remove threaded rods on existing fuel cell bars and replace with 5/16” bolts through fuel cell bar. Bushings must be installed in holes drilled for new bolts passing through fuel cell bars."  Looks like they want you to drill the frame bars and weld in bushings.    Do you happen to know how much more the metal cell assy weighs compared to the plastic?

Offline Richie25x

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 05:21:37 pm »
the 4.1 plastic cell is a good bit lighter. We went from the metal to the plastic 4.1 gallon on our new car.  I lost  1% rear weight but that is with running full tank of fuel.

knoxracing

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 08:25:25 am »
While you may have lost weight I will tell you I have seen MORE THAN ONE plastic sell come apart on impact spewing fuel everywhere. I have made suggestions to USLC in the past to beef up the cell cage. I will admit we run the plastic cell, but the safety gain from the metal cell is truly a good thing.

Offline AKRACER

• speed
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 02:05:36 pm »
just my two cents i now run a metal cell because i was run into and hit another car and put a big hole in his black plastic cell. which is now why i run the metal one.

Offline jim19

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 05:14:20 pm »
dennis speaking about the metal cell's ...where can I get a replacement bladder, my sons started leaking at the qualifier @ lake erie????

anything