Author Topic: Thinking about starting to race  (Read 16301 times)

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Thinking about starting to race
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 09:22:06 pm »
David,

How bad do you want to go racing? You are getting some pretty nice offers to come see what it is all about. Yes; You may have to drive a bit and get your hands dirty. Sorry!.... Not trying to be rude. That is what it is all about. You are going to drive farther than you would like; Spend every last penny you have; Live without sleep; Girlfriend (wife) is going to be mad because you spend no time with her and just spent the grocery money on new brakes. I understand family obligations. DO take the time (at some point) and meet these folks that are trying to help you out. They are all good folks!

Steve

Oh I want to do it bad!!!.....but I am at the mercy of my mom lol. Im 17, and in MD you cant drive out of state with a provisional license. So its not that I wouldnt do it, its that my mom wont. Its still gonna be a push to get her to take me to race, I asked and she said no about driving that far to crew.

My little brother Jonathan is severely Autistic and its really hard to get help for him, so we usually only have 1 day completely free every week. So my mom say it would just be to hard to drive long distance to crew, since she would be driving I have to agree that it would be too hard for her. But if I was driving I would be there in a heartbeat with you all!

Sorry guys, but thats where Im at right now.

David,

Like I said; I was not trying to be rude. Racing is expensive and time consuming. Being young, you still have much to learn. You also have lots of time to learn it. I understand family and medical issues. I am a CNA and my girl is a PCA. We have dealt with many different issues over the years. I was just saying that IF you want it that bad you will find a way to do it.  ;) Things get a little harder when family is not 110% behind you. Doesn't mean you can't find a way to overcome though.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline dmm95

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 09:39:17 pm »
Thanks guys.

I'm gonna try to get a test drive scheduled in the next couple weeks!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 10:54:52 pm »
Thanks guys.

Good idea David. I know you will love it! This whole racing game is very crazy. I am sure there is a 12 step program for that; But haven't found one yet.

Sorry I had to run off for a bit. Dropped off some things to my welder and pick up a go kart project.

Seious though; Do the test drive. See how you like the car. They will give you some quick lessons on shifting, driving, etc... You'll get a bit of seat time. Sure you'll be hooked!

If you can find a friend, relative or someoneto go with you, drive, or whatever... Go check out some of our members in your area. Serious... Good People!!!
Keep us informed.

Steve

Offline EJR51

• facebook.com/ericjonesracing
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 04:29:30 pm »
Thanks guys.

where are you looking at scheduling your test drive?
Eric Jones
#51 FreedomBehindTheWheel.org
Virginia

Offline dmm95

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 03:26:33 am »
Most likely Shenandoah Speedway

Offline dmm95

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 12:07:45 am »
Does anyone know of any books out there that describe all the parts and pieces of a race car and what they do?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 05:33:10 am »
David,

Check out the bottom of this thread for some reading material.
http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=295.0

Dwarf Car Technology by Steve Smith might be a good book for you to check out.

Steve

Offline dmm95

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 11:44:00 pm »

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 12:44:14 am »
Good book, butnot directed to the suspension on these smaller cars. For the most part they are all similar. I have a pretty extensive library and a ton of links for internet stuff. Off for vacation in the morning or would look some of that up for you. Will try to send you some info when I get back.

Steve

Offline dmm95

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 03:38:43 pm »
I hope you have a good time!

anything