Author Topic: Ignition and Coils  (Read 10673 times)

Offline csm14701

Ignition and Coils
« on: June 09, 2013, 12:19:29 pm »
I am currently having an electrical problem that I cannot figure out.  While under heavy acceleration the car bobbles and back fires about 1/2 way down the each straight away.  The car then picks up and pulls to the corner with out issue. The car pulls out of the corner pretty well. It seems to do it when the car heats up.  I have a black box with vacuum. Last night at Lake Erie Speedway, the car shut off for maybe 100 feet down the back stretch.  It was like I turned the ignition off. Then it fired up (on its own) and backfired really loud and ran like it usually does.  I pulled off as I did not want this to happen in a pack of cars and wreck a bunch of people.  If you have any idea please help.  I may just order a complete red box system and hope for the best.

knoxracing

Re: Ignition and Coils
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 01:09:49 pm »
I would change the ignition system. If you need help figuring your issue out feel free to call me tomorrow.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 02:49:01 pm »
Ignition switch, battery ground, bad tach, loose electrical connection, etc are sources of the problem you are explaining.

There is nothing wrong with the FJ ignition system. The two RPM maintained 2012 INEX Championship cars on the cover of the rulebook both use the FJ ignition system and do not have failures.

The trouble are well documented regarding the INEX/Dyna red box system here on this forum.

Have you checked anything out to this point?

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

knoxracing

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 03:44:18 pm »
Randy I agree the black system will work fine IF you know how to deal with it and you want a system from 1979.  The pieces parts are not easy to find at the track as 90% of the cars and dealers run the red box. These documented failures do happen as with the black system. Again, as you know we race Erie weekly and that is why I offered to help you, not to sell you parts. Again let me know if I can help.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 04:08:19 pm »
Randy I agree the black system will work fine IF you know how to deal with it and you want a system from 1979.  The pieces parts are not easy to find at the track as 90% of the cars and dealers run the red box. These documented failures do happen as with the black system. Again, as you know we race Erie weekly and that is why I offered to help you, not to sell you parts. Again let me know if I can help.

Dennis, I was just offering some pointers on things to test/check before buying a ignition system and when it was not the issue. I agree you can find people at the track with spare for the Dyna system more easily than the FJ system.

There is nothing to deal with the black box ignition especially if it ran fine prior. It sounds like he is having another issue, like a bad ignition switch.

The box used for INEX was the FJ box that was introduced in 1990 and was used until the changed to the XJR box in 2001.

Dyna came out with the same box you are buying today in 1985. I have a customer that bought an 1984 FJ1100 brand new and installed the Dyna system as recommended by the dealer because it is "better". He has had to have the box rebuilt a total of 5 times since it's install and if he had the old ignition system he would have installed it many years ago.

Hopefully, csm14701 can post what he has checked and tested to try and locate the problem before just condemning the ignition system.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 08:02:02 pm »
Sorry Dennis, but I agree with Randy on this one...Check ALL the little things first before diving into a big ticket em such as the Dyna Tech system.  I used to run the red box myself, had nothing but trouble, switch ignition to the old FJ black box system, and never have had another problem.  I also had a misfire condition on a car with a red box system and traced it to the ignition switch.  Had another similar problem with red box on anothe car and traced it to a bad wire connection on one of the coils.   

Good luck and keep us posted. 
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline csm14701

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 08:20:08 pm »
This week I am going to try to test the coils and wires with a meter.  The problem I have, I think the coils are going to test ok as it becomes a problem once the car heats up.  I don't really believe its the coils though. The plug wires are newer. The ignition and fuel pump is hooked to the same switch on the dash.  The switch is a pretty new and is high quality.  I don't believe it is the switch as the car usually does it at the same places on the track and usually don't shut off.  Plus the car seems to be still pouring fuel as the reason for the significant back fire.  I have replaced the entire wiring harness with a new one last year.  Thank you all for the help.  I hope to figure this out soon.  And Dennis, I will call if I need pointers and I hope all is well with Wendell.  That was a pretty bad crash....

knoxracing

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 09:34:18 pm »
Please call me, I will help you go through this. Wendell went to the er in the early am, it appears he is bruised and battered. The car was nearly new top to bottom and is now is total junk. Thanks for the concern as I will pass it on to Wendell.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 09:48:52 pm »
I am currently having an electrical problem that I cannot figure out.  While under heavy acceleration the car bobbles and back fires about 1/2 way down the each straight away.  The car then picks up and pulls to the corner with out issue. The car pulls out of the corner pretty well. It seems to do it when the car heats up.  I have a black box with vacuum. Last night at Lake Erie Speedway, the car shut off for maybe 100 feet down the back stretch.  It was like I turned the ignition off. Then it fired up (on its own) and backfired really loud and ran like it usually does.  I pulled off as I did not want this to happen in a pack of cars and wreck a bunch of people.  If you have any idea please help.  I may just order a complete red box system and hope for the best.

Could be as simple as a bad ground or loose wire/connection.
I've run the same black box and coils for the last 5+ years without a problem with them, plus however long they were on the car before I bought it. Lots to check before replacing the whole ignition system
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 11:25:25 pm »
How much do you all sell replacement black boxes{new} not used , coils and the pick up for? Maybe we all should switch back, what are the prices.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 08:59:50 am »
I'm not trying to sell anything, I just have my personal spares.
Can be found at bike dismantlers for $200 or so complete
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Legendracer6m

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 06:32:08 pm »
    I am also having what seems to be a electrical issue also .  We just put our car back together after  a 3 year college break, we ran the first time at Columbus and the car sounds like it has a miss (real hollow sound ) . We get full RPM but down on power. we have checked the mechanical end   compression is about 145  all 4 cal  valves and chain appear to be oK , tried a new good set of carbs that night  and no change.  The only thing we added was a tach which we bought from 600 racing and it appears to be working fine. We have the Black box (no Vacuum )  Any help would be appreciated    Thanks
Nothing goes right if your underwear\'s tight

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 09:04:21 pm »
Gearing? Running the rev limiter? What venue are you racing? (oval (pavement or dirt), road courses, auto-cross?)
Lots of things to factor into your question.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.