Author Topic: Racing Problem-please help  (Read 9243 times)

Offline slotwho

Racing Problem-please help
« on: May 27, 2013, 04:46:56 pm »
I wanted to thank all that responded to my last post, I found it to be a great help.

Today I am writing out of total confusion....last night on the 2nd practice my car bobble on lap two then shut down on lap 3, it ran great in the first practice. I was sure it was electrical so we strapped on a new red box,clean the batt terminals, charge the batt and replaced the coils went back out, two laps later same issue.  Pushed back to the pit checked volts at coil, 12.4V checked volts at box 12.4V changed Toggle switch, check fuel and fuel pump and went back out, one lap later same issue. Said lets throw the kitchen sink at it and toss a new set of carbs, (it was a full moon out last night) went out for the feature car ran great????????? All the way home I thought it was the blue plate, I checked that today and it is fine, I went through the carbs that were on the car when the problem started and they are clean and in great shape ?????

I know the problem is still running around and I do not believe it is the carb, problem seem to be heat related but now I am at a lost for what or where to look. Any thoughts???????

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Racing Problem-please help
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 05:08:14 pm »
Barry,

Try the ground wires first.

Are you saying that changing carbs fixed the problem?
Carbs may look clean; But it doesn't take a very large piece of dirt to clog jets and the likes.

I have had a bad coil that, when hot, would stop working.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 06:06:45 pm »
we had an odd problem for a few races, did the same thing as yours, for some reason when the motor got up to temp the triggar plate would ground out on the cover.. ground the cover down  problem  went away..

joe

Offline canabl

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:08:08 pm »
We had the same issue racing last season and replaced the coils and the redbox thinking it was the issue, found after a few laps the heat would cause the blue trigger plate to open circuit on the signal to coil pack 2-3. went back to the stock setup of coils box and trigger and never had an issue since.
Found the white wire on the pickup plate had a dry joint into the black plastic housing, causing our issues.

Offline slotwho

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 08:33:15 am »
Steve we cleaned all of the terminals, and changed the coils first thing, we did notice that temperature off of the number one cyl would not get above 200 degrees while the others were at 230 to 265 so we thought that the 1-4 coil was bad. I also am not say that the Carbs fix the problem cause I do not know yet be for the feature the car ran very fast?

Joe, thanks for that advise I will definitely look into that.......question about that does it fix it or cover the problem?

Amp Racing- thanks for your help I will check that also.

Again we had no problem two weekends ago, won our race at Grand Bend and first practice last week we were  fast.........the 2nd practice the problem started. We heated up the car to 180 before going out for the feature.

Thanks for your help to all, we need it.

Barry

Offline slotwho

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 08:39:14 am »
I guess one other thing that maybe important is that when hot and the car would stop we could re-fire it  we did not try taking it back out due to our hot laps were over.

Barry

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 10:23:53 am »
Just a silly question to elimnate a possibility..... Do you have a fuel cut off switch (valve) that someone left in the off position and you were just using the fuel out of the lines? Maybe then for the race, when it worked, someone turned it back on?
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline slotwho

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 01:33:58 pm »
Thanks Earnst85 but I do not have a shut off  and that was not silly.......any help is good help. We also checked for sponge decay in the fuel and  fuel line pressure all was good.

Thanks,

Barry

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 03:21:53 pm »
check the ignition switch. I have had these go bad, and cause an intermittent connection. If in doubt, replace it.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 07:56:54 pm »
Have seen:
Ignition switch
Ignition cover contact (there were multiple thicknesses of gaskets made)
Failing transponder wired into fuel pump
Carbs clogged with fuel cell foam or deteriorated fuel line
...all cause this type of problem
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline slotwho

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 01:42:31 pm »
Thanks to all that have try to help....after replacing everything electrical it boiled down to the blue plate. We found that the plastic casing that contains the four wires melted causing  the wires to wearing through against the engine block, you cannot see this issue  until we removed the plate and the problem was there.  I would suggest to all to keep your eyes on this problem while under the car. Ran last week and car ran great.

Again thanks,

Barry

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 01:51:47 pm »
Thanks for the update
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100