Author Topic: Steering Wheel Diameter  (Read 17195 times)

Offline Legends16

Re: Steering Wheel Diameter
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 07:24:44 am »
Great info here guys!

Im going to try an remove the 1-2" spacer I have on the wheel first and see what that does. Its a bit more comforting to see others having the same issues I have and getting them resolved by what I was thinking. It looks like I could be wheel shopping.

Somone on this post spoke about headroom which has me thinking. Being 6ft and the seat laying flat against the back wall of my sedan, I only have about an inch of head room. (Between my helmet and the roll bar padding).

Im comfortable but is this a safety concern?

Thanks guys,

Eric

Offline stroutmail

• In my younger days!
    • Follow the Son Racing
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 04:44:51 pm »
Seems to me there is a another side to the "twitchy" argument. 

Most of the in-car videos indicate about 30 degrees of steering input for corner entry on an oval.  (10/2 position moves to 9/1 clock position)  That means for a 13.5 inch wheel, your hands move 3.5".  For a 15" wheel, your hands move the same 30 degrees but now they have to move 4".  For an 11" wheel, the hands move 2.9".   I guess if your brain tells you hands to move 4", then you would oversteer  1/2" with a 13" wheel and 1.1" with a 11".   But, 2.9" is a lot of distance---if you use a mouse on a computer you get used to moving your hand with precision with much less than 2.9" movement.

Now, to me "twitchy" means a lot of hand movement back and forth is needed to control the car--particularly on dirt.  I see in the videos as much as 60 degrees to go from normal input to a "correction" movement to compensate for the back end sliding out too much. (loose).  So the other side of the analysis is that the bigger the wheel, the more your hand needs to move in order to make the correction.  A smaller wheel enables much faster and easier "correction" inputs.  If the car needs a 60 degree change in steering input, with a 13.5" wheel, your hands need to move 7" in a split second.  With an 11" wheel, only 5.8".  With the 11" wheel, your hands reach the correct position 18% faster.

We get used to driving cars and trucks with pretty big steering wheels and if we get into a race car with fast steering and a small wheel, it is normal to make inputs that are too large...at first.
I had the same problem when I first took flying lessons---I moved the yoke way too much and my instructor kept telling me "apply pressure--not movement".    That "apply pressure--not movement" can be translated to "don't move your hands any more than necessary to achieve the desired change in vehicle direction".  A big wheel makes this easier--so the learning curve is faster because it is easier to avoid moving the hands too far.  It is probably more "comfortable".  But, later the "slower" input becomes a hindrance to performance as it take more time to make "corrections".

Some would say that a "twitchy" car needs the fastest steering possible (without undue physical force and effort) so that hand movement is minimized.   And avoidance of "oversteering" is just a matter of getting used to and adapting to the faster steering.

Offline stroutmail

• In my younger days!
    • Follow the Son Racing
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 12:52:50 pm »
Just some feedback. 

Ran my first Legends Car race on dirt (1/3 mile) with the 11.5" steering wheel.  It worked great.  I did not seem to "oversteer" with it and the steering effort was acceptable.  (A lot less than the steering effort on the current Indy cars that do not have power steering.)  Also, I did not hit my elbows or biceps on anything---quite comfortable.

Offline robbie96race

• Robbie Johnston
    • Robbie Johnston Racing
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 02:03:25 pm »
I use to use an 11" Grant wheel. I have an 18" seat so I have the problem of not enough room on the left side to steer. I actually gained a tenth of a second in qualifying using this wheel. The only reason I stopped using it was because it was wearing me out on long races. I felt more comfortable and was able to hit my lines a whole lot better with the 11". The car actually feels more sensitive with a 13" (I use a 15" now). I didn't have a problem with too much input or oversteer, either. Here is a video of the 11" wheel I used. I had a 2" spacer to clear my knees.

NOTE: The wheel looks bigger in the video than it actually is.
3rd Place 2013 Sunny South Raceway Semi-Pro/Young Lions Championship
2nd Place 2014 Sunny South Raceway Semi-Pro/Young Lions Championship

Offline stroutmail

• In my younger days!
    • Follow the Son Racing
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 02:40:46 pm »
Nice video.   Your other videos show a lot of continuous improvement--Congrats!. I would assume the steering effort is just a tad more on pavement than on dirt.  On the other hand, with the caster and camber split we run, along with the brake bias adjuster on he right front brake, my car almost steers itself into the corner.  The most effort I feel is when I need to correct to the right when coming off the corner.  I do repetitive strength training with an elliptical (arms only) to build endurance.  We only run 20 lap features and there are usually so many yellows, there seems to be a lot of time to rest!

I agree that the bigger wheel provides more precision.

Everything is a compromise and the best choice is always the one where you are safest and fastest!