Author Topic: Headrests  (Read 10665 times)

Offline Legends16

Headrests
« on: July 19, 2013, 04:38:33 pm »
Hey guys,

My car came used with Kirkey seat and Kirkey head supports shown here;

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.php?link=details&wh=10&pn=00100

Ive got two of them, one on the left and one on the right. They work well so far, Ive yet to test them in a crash, knock on wood. The only thing Im not to crazzy about is they are blocking a bit of my peripheral vision. They are mounted to the seat in a way that they are at a level plane with my visor. Im guessing these are mounted correctly? I havent had much luck on Kirkly's instalation section of their website to find out if they are. Anyone run them?

Ive seen other universal style headrests that are not quite as tall and do not block the visor.  Would it be safe to remount the Kirkey headrests lower in the seat or should I get somthing else? If so what do you guys like? I dont have the funds to buy a Lajoie seat

Thanks guys,

Eric

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Headrests
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 06:38:25 pm »
Eric,

Check the Kirkey site for the proper way to mount them. You just need to adjust them for you. Not a big issue.
If you need help, PM me and I will hook you up with proper mounting.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Legends16

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 09:07:48 am »
Hi Steve, I sent you a PM. I cant seem find anything on Kirkey's webstite. It seems these might need to be mounted at cheek level?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 09:19:53 am »
PM sent. Hope that answers your question.

Steve

Offline stroutmail

• In my younger days!
    • Follow the Son Racing
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 09:06:54 am »
If you can afford the cost, this kit does a very good job of adding head restraint without hurting peripheral vision. I recently added it to my Kirkey intermediate and am very satisfied.
I had what you have before and did not like the vision blocking and also found them to bend too much.

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.php?link=browse&code=Restraints

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 12:13:33 pm »
While the headrests you have are better than nothing, I am not a fan of the flat type aluminum ones. My former teammate had these in his car when he flipped several times. the headrest did help, but they bent out about 70 degrees to nearly flat, just from his head hit them during the flip. certainly if he had not had anything he would have had very bad whiplash or worse, but a well built add on piece, such as the richardson one piece is much better and stronger solution.

http://www.rrpinc.com/catalog2/head-rest-piece-universal-p-5067.html

also available through USLC dealers including me, but that is not why I am pushing it. I truly believe this is one of the best, and most affordable add on head rests available.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline Legends16

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 06:15:31 pm »
Wow, thanks Brad. Thats a great looking piece. I missed that in my searches. Instead of remounting the ones I have and drilling out the seat more, I tnink ill have to take this unit into some strong consideraion.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 09:23:08 pm »
Don't use fender washers, or cheap large washers, to mount them. If it is all you have to work with,; Use hardened washers as recommended by the manufacturer. I have the type that Stroutmail posted. I started with the type that you posted. Sometimes budget dictates what you can afford. Don't try to cheap out on safety items. Get what your budget can afford and mount things properly.

Steve

Offline Legends16

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 09:54:22 am »
    Thanks guys. Ive always put safety above everything else in the buget. Several years ago I got hurt pretty bad in a kart crash so I take safety pretty seriously.

Everyones advice has been very helpful. Thanks again all!  ;D

Eric

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 11:35:15 pm »
The headrest that Brad listed is what I currently have on my seat. Very nice!!!!

Steve

Offline stroutmail

• In my younger days!
    • Follow the Son Racing
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 04:11:03 pm »
I think it important to point out that the head rest is safer when used in conjunction with additional shoulder supports.   If you restrain the head and not the shoulders,  you can actually make potential injuries more serious.  The Richardson piece is very nice--here is a link to the complimentary shoulder rests.

http://www.rrpinc.com/catalog2/shoulder-rest-channelled-pair-p-5072.html

The Kirkey kit includes head and shoulder supports.

anything