Author Topic: Steering Wheel Diameter  (Read 17193 times)

Offline stroutmail

• In my younger days!
    • Follow the Son Racing
Steering Wheel Diameter
« on: May 17, 2013, 03:37:44 pm »
I'm preparing my Chevy sedan that I bought with the "standard" 13 in. dia dished wheel. (Looks like a Grant) It seems much larger than it needs to be and interferes with my knees. (I have to scoot forward to keep my head from hitting the roof so my knees are pretty high in the cockpit.)   600 sells a 12" dia "flat" (not dished) wheel, and then there are the fancier "formula" type wheels.  Longacre sells a 290 mm wheel (11.4") that seems nice--might be a Grant.    Any comments or suggestions? 

Offline stroutmail

• In my younger days!
    • Follow the Son Racing
Re: Steering Wheel Diameter
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 03:40:23 pm »
I realize smaller diameter means more steering effort, but on dirt I imagine at racing speed, steering effort is not an issue. Smaller diameter also means less hand movement and faster response which I think is probably good.

knoxracing

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 03:57:30 pm »
I do not believe I have EVER seen a driver install a smaller wheel than the stock 13" wheel, not saying it has not been done. It certanly is not a common practice, the car is already twitchy and easilly oversteared. Many drivers install larger steering wheels so they can feel the car better. I would opt for repositioning the seat and relocating the steering shaft to a more comfortable location. Depending on the driver we often lengthen, shorten, raise or lower the wheel location for comfort.

Offline stroutmail

• In my younger days!
    • Follow the Son Racing
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 04:19:48 pm »
I figured it might be "unusual" which is why I'm asking.  The 600 Parts Catalog shows:
STEERING WHEEL 12" FLAT (975000X306).

I guess it is not a very big seller.?

Circumference of a 13" wheel is almost 41 inches.  So 90 degrees of movement is 10 inches.  A 12" wheel reduces the movement a little more than 5% to 9.5 inches. I guess it would depend on the driver as to whether that would seem "too fast" for a "twitchy" car.   Watching in car videos, you can see a lot of hand movement moving big distances. 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 08:54:01 pm »
A larger wheel is going to reduce steering movement. Given. There are things you can do to give more leg room or arm length.
Lots of posts on the site that you can search,

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline stroutmail

• In my younger days!
    • Follow the Son Racing
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 10:48:07 pm »
OK. Thanks . ...now I've read all the postings about seat and steering wheel placement.   In essence, the reason for my question is related to those posts.  Tall drivers or those with tall upper body have an issue with head clearance.  As one who has survived a very serious 160mph + crash, I can tell you that your body will stretch and hit things you did not think possible. Clearance above the helmet is very important.  (I suffered a concussion with head hitting roll bar four inches away from my helmet.)  So.. recline and move forward addresses that problem---now the legs are bent and knees are high.  With that condition, and steering wheel at "normal" distance, hands on steering wheel hit the legs. One solution is to move steering wheel closer to chest and move as high as possible---in this condition, elbows hit things and underarms rub on chest support of seat.  (Many Cup drivers like this setup but it always felt unnatural to me.  I also like to have the wheel far from my chest as even with the best restraints--chest movement in front collision is several inches. )   To avoid the steering wheel close to chest and the hands hitting the knees, I thought maybe a smaller steering wheel might make sense. I' ve driven many very "twitchy" formula cars on ovals and road courses with 10" steering wheels and very fast steering--easy to oversteer--though they did have slightly less front wheel weight than a Legends car..

Sounds like the steering wheel close to chest is probably the compromise chosen by most tall drivers?  I was interested if anybody had actually tried a smaller wheel and what their experience was.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 10:53:13 pm »
You need to do whatever makes you the most comfortable in the car. That is what is most important. Keep in mind that other steering wheel sizes can also obscure your vision of the gauges...if you watch them.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Legends16

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 12:43:05 pm »
Im having a similiar issus to what is being described here. Ive got a 15 inch longacre wheel that I really like. However Im having a bit of a issue with my the bottom of my bicpets getting into the rib supports of my kirkey seat. Im 6ft 2 inches about 210 pounds. My left arm is a little bit restricted  hitting the seat and the door pad. Its bad enough to give me some bruising.

Ive thought about trying a diffent wheel, somthing a little smaller. I seem to think I have a 1 inch extention in there to and although I like to sit close to the wheel but I realy need to fix this issue. My steering wheel heim is as high as it will go and my seat is as far left as it will go. There isnt much room to play with. I think Im going to try and removed the extension first, see if I notice anything.

Im not crazzy about spending money to try anouther wheel or anouther seat to see if there is a difference (I think there is) and have it not work. Ive thought about modifying the seat, cutting the rib support back but thats probably not a good idea, comprimising the seats strength.

Maybe reclining the seat a bit may help? It sits straight up against the back wall, very little headroom.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 05:25:21 pm »
As I am only 5'9", I will leave this question to those that are not vertically challenged .
To move the steering wheel up a bit, could one not cut the mount and angle it up slightly? Just asking.
As far as I know, angeling the seat back is the only way to gain some headroom.
 :-\

Steve

Offline Dirtmod117

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 11:44:13 pm »
Steve,I have seen a few big guys that have done that.they cut the mount angled it up and re welded it so they  must gain something...

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 11:55:14 pm »
A bit of leg clearance. Perhaps it could be enough to recline the seat a bit and gain some head room also.

Steve

Offline stroutmail

• In my younger days!
    • Follow the Son Racing
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 01:34:07 pm »
For 6' + guys, there is a "sweet spot" which is a compromise related to

A)  Distance of steering wheel from your body
B)  Height of steering wheel
C)  Diameter of steering wheel
D) Headroom
E) Bent knee driving position

Reclining seat will give more head room but moves the wheel closer to seat. 

Moving wheel away from seat and body (out and up) will help on the elbow banging and arms rubbing on chest support--limit will be when your hands hit your knees.

Bruises and pain are always a sign that you are doing something that is not good for your body!

I think the best combination is what you are most comfortable with and what is the most safe.  It will not be perfect but most times drivers adapt after some seat time.

I've moved seat forward and raised the steering shaft.  I will also be moving the wheel forward and most probably will go to the 12" wheel INEX sells.

FFmedic

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 01:39:54 pm »
I'm 6'2".   I raised the steering support grim right off the bat.  I started with the 13" wheel and had problems with over steering the car.  I went to a 16" and it went away.  Just remember that smaller might help in the leg room dept but itchy hurt your driving style. Just my 2cents from one tall driver to another

Offline svtmatt

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 03:56:09 pm »
You could try a flat bottom steering wheel to help with the clearance to your knees.  I switched to a Sparco R353 steering wheel this year which is a 13" diameter wheel with a flat bottom and I love it so far.   I had always used a Joe's 13" diameter flat dish steering wheel prior to that.

I tried a larger, 15" wheel a couple of years ago, but ran into the elbow room and leg room issues others have described.  Joe's makes a 14" wheel that might be a better compromise if you want to go larger diameter.

MT
Matt Todd
Michgan Legends #8

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 05:53:29 pm »
I found a 14" wheel and love it. I can't remember where I got it but it is just perfect for me.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

anything