Author Topic: red box or motor??  (Read 6125 times)

Offline Rfisher23

red box or motor??
« on: May 12, 2013, 03:34:11 pm »
Hows it going, as everyone prob knows im new to these legends cars, last night in the main event lap 15 on back stretch, motor just lost all power, still runs but sounds like a tractor, got back to the pits and turn power switch on, motor spins over and cranks up but is sounding bad, my inex red box the little red light would not come on at all, and when you spin it over sounds like the timing is off, and cranks up but sounds like a tractor running on 2 cyl, got to the shop this morning and fliped the power on and noticed the red light on red box comes on again, fired it up still bad sounds the same??? Any thought on this?

Ricky Fisher #23

Offline Grape Competition Develop

Re: red box or motor??
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 05:13:48 pm »
take the cam cover off and make sure a cam isn't broken before you run it again.  if everything looks sound under the cam cover, start checking valve lash to make sure all valves have some clearance as to not be hung open. if all seems well,  fire it up and see which headpipes are cold to isolate which coil, or pickup could be bad.

knoxracing

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 08:52:57 pm »
Borrow a red box, plug it in and fire it up.

Offline Rfisher23

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:23:26 pm »
Found the problem, pulled valve cover off, cam cap bolt broke off in head causeing cap to come loose and snaped my cam right in half, so it being a 1200 gotta figure out what kind of cam it is and how to fix it, thanks for info on box
Ricky Fisher #23

Offline Dirtmod117

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 12:07:44 am »
That really sucks especially starting out like me .I took everything I had to get a car and trailer this year that would be my worse night mare.what are you going to do?

Offline Rfisher23

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 06:50:08 am »
Prob going to pull the motor out and find a cam and drop it off to a engine builder around here, atleast its the top end and not the bottom end, hopefully this want break the bank lol...gonna sit the summer shootout out and get it ready for concord again later
Ricky Fisher #23

Online justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 09:18:59 am »
Ricky,

Saw a few parts engines on eBay. You might also check the fjowners site. Might save you a few bucks on parts.  :-\

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 10:01:15 am »
I have some cams that we can work a deal out with.

Robert

Offline Rfisher23

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 03:10:09 pm »
Ok cool, is there a certin cam that i need for this 1200fj does it matter what year motor the cam came from?
Ricky Fisher #23

anything