Author Topic: Digital Gear Indicator Kit, Not from 600!  (Read 74783 times)

Offline Legends16

Re: Digital Gear Indicator Kit, Not from 600!
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2013, 07:09:48 am »
Is there a set price on these yet?

Offline N4Racing

« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2013, 08:59:34 am »
I like the red mesh with black shrink tube.

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2013, 12:49:18 pm »
Is there a set price on these yet?
do you have a price on these yet??? I am interested in 1 or 2 ...  frank 208-353-2283 thank yu..

I want to start the Price @ $200 for the whole kit and $125 for just the sending unit. Everything is still Plug and Play with 600's kit.

Andrew,

Looks nice (more finished) with the mesh and shrink tubing. Nice work!

Steve

Thank you

Andrew are you going to be at nationals ?

I think I'll be there at least 1 day, might be there the Thursday before as well.

I like the red mesh with black shrink tube.

Seems to be the the general consensus so far. If there's no objections by tomorrow, I'm going to order more of the red mesh and other odds and ends to finish the kits I have in-process.

Andrew
Silly Tool Maker wants to make race car parts better, stronger, CHEAPER (in kit form) than the OEM! ( now he's trying to be a fabricator too! )

Offline phylzub02

« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2013, 09:51:51 pm »
when can we order them??? for I am going to want atleast  1 kit now...thanks frank 208-353-2283

Offline justaoke

« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2013, 11:01:52 pm »
Andrew, I am sorry to say that I wont need a kit. We had a engine blow in front of us and my son slammed the wall full bore into a turn. He is o.k. but our car is totaled.  Thanks for messaging me and keep up the good work!!

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2013, 12:38:39 pm »
Getting closer to having the kits ready.

I think with the next round I will ditch the yellow fuse holder and give these atc self tapping fuse holders a try.

the yellow ones are meant for a heavier gauge of wire so I have to soldier the wire in after crimping the end. It is time consuming and a real PITA to not melt the plastic as I stick soldiering iron down the tube.

Andrew
Silly Tool Maker wants to make race car parts better, stronger, CHEAPER (in kit form) than the OEM! ( now he's trying to be a fabricator too! )

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2013, 07:51:39 pm »
Soldiering is the prefferable method. Use shrink tubing after soldiering.
My method. FWIW

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2013, 01:09:02 am »
Soldiering is the prefferable method. Use shrink tubing after soldiering.
My method. FWIW

Steve

I'd love to find a housing setup that the metal comes out of the housing for soldiering or even crimping. But I have not been able to find such a setup.

I can get fuse holders that have a loop of wire already attached so I could then soldier the ends of the wire together but I was trying to keep the wire path as clean as possible. (Just my own anal-ness on making look clean)

So if anyone knows where I can get fuse holders that come apart for assembly, please let me know.

Andrew

knoxracing

« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2013, 08:15:02 am »
This is my first comment on this unit. It is very nice and you have done some nice work, the "suitcase style fuse holder that bites into the wire would really be a poor choice, they are not meant for this type of application. Keep up the nice work!! Is there any pricing attached to this indicator unit yet?

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2013, 08:45:19 am »

"the suitcase style fuse holder that bites into the wire would really be a poor choice"

I couldn't agree more. I used one on my lawnmower and the vibrations cause it to open and become disconnected. It only lasted 3 times before I replaced it with something else.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2013, 09:57:09 am »
This is my first comment on this unit. It is very nice and you have done some nice work, the "suitcase style fuse holder that bites into the wire would really be a poor choice, they are not meant for this type of application. Keep up the nice work!! Is there any pricing attached to this indicator unit yet?

"the suitcase style fuse holder that bites into the wire would really be a poor choice"

I couldn't agree more. I used one on my lawnmower and the vibrations cause it to open and become disconnected. It only lasted 3 times before I replaced it with something else.

Thank you for the input, this is why I posted it up. I have no real experience with adding inline fuse on anything smaller than an 8 gauge wire (car audio).

I guess I'll keep looking for something else.

Question...... is there a fuse box at all in these cars?

Andrew

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2013, 10:38:11 am »
No. I have seen people use junction blocks and in-line fuses before (once or twice), but there is no fuse box
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2013, 10:53:44 am »
A crimp sleeve with shrink tube over the crimp would be fine. They also sell butt splice crimp connectors that are heatable. In other words the heat shrink is part of the connector.

Offline N4Racing

« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2013, 12:20:08 pm »

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2013, 01:26:33 pm »
mcmaster is where I've been getting the ones that I've used so far.

I didn't think that a panel mount would be something that people would want?  ???  So... is panel mounting for the fuse holder a desired feature?

I also found this one with 10" leads attached to both ends.  I wouldn't mind having to make one connection at the gauge and be done  ;D

http://www.altex.com/Philmore-In-Line-Fuse-Holder-FH65-P147809.aspx?gclid=CNjxl5Dw67kCFSdk7AodHC8Adg

Andrew

anything