Author Topic: Digital Gear Indicator Kit, Not from 600!  (Read 91475 times)

Offline Vern Houseman

Re: Digital Gear Indicator Kit, Not from 600!
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2013, 05:15:44 am »
Lol so true Mr Earnst
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2013, 09:34:53 am »
Well I received Andrews gear indicator kit today, very nice kit, and a very easy install, I am kinda diggin the clear front now,when you shift the gears it aluminates red when the numbers are up and green when in neutral.The whole circle aluminates really neet.Can't wait to try out Fri nite.

I'm glad your happy with it  ;D

If it ends up being to bright I may have to pony up & buy the tinted plastic, and just hope there will be enough sales to make it pan out.

Andrew
Silly Tool Maker wants to make race car parts better, stronger, CHEAPER (in kit form) than the OEM! ( now he's trying to be a fabricator too! )

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2013, 12:04:29 pm »
Could you save some cost by not making it round? It only needs to be big enough for the number display correct?. You could then screw an oversized mounting plate to the front that could rivet to the dash. That would eliminate the machined threads into your round bar.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2013, 02:27:48 pm »
Could you save some cost by not making it round? It only needs to be big enough for the number display correct?. You could then screw an oversized mounting plate to the front that could rivet to the dash. That would eliminate the machined threads into your round bar.

I need at least a 1" diameter to clear the pocket for the gauge. Not really sure what you mean by "an oversized mounting plate". Do you have any pics or links?

Machining the threads isn't really an issue, I have access to a cnc lathe without a tool changer.

I guess if you guys wanted it really down and dirty I could just get sheet stock, glue the read out to it and put in some holes for either bolts\screws or rivets. But I don't know if I could bring myself to go the route! :-\

Andrew
Silly Tool Maker wants to make race car parts better, stronger, CHEAPER (in kit form) than the OEM! ( now he's trying to be a fabricator too! )

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2013, 03:44:13 pm »
The sheet stock idea you mentioned was what I had in mind. I was thinking of possibly a small electronics box (like from radio shack) to hold the display  with sheet stock cover (lid).  The other thing about an oversized plate is kinda like the gauge panels you can get through speedway motors, just a plate with a sized hole (or rectangle) for your gauge to slide into and rivet to the dash. The screws would have to hold the gauge to the plate instead of your threads. If you have access to a cnc and the threads aren't a money issue, then by all means go with that. It looks great the way you have it. I just figured any reduction of machining would save you cost and open up some other possibilities for housing shapes.

My only concern is if you sell too many, when does INEX say its a non-as deliverd part that gives onboard data acquisition?

You got a great product as is. Keep up the good work.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2013, 02:12:15 pm »
Vern,

How did the testing turn out? Was waiting for you to post.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline racintaz99

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2013, 02:15:42 pm »
Andrew told me that they got rained out. We finally got to race here in Wi and mine has held up very well so far.

Scott

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2013, 02:24:17 pm »
Scott,

Thanks for the update.
I was impressed from Andrews initial design. We have had a few members over the years try to build one. Andrew did very well!

Steve

Offline Vern Houseman

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2013, 09:24:38 pm »
Sorry I did not post we did get rained out, so this fri nite is the next adventure will let ya know
Vernon Houseman #20

Offline Richie25x

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2013, 07:06:55 pm »
Here is a few pictures of the gauge we made.
Last year we used just a standard bar with led lights.
Would like to hear your guy's thoughts.

http://hostingbytes.us/images/3/7019978.jpg

http://hostingbytes.us/images/3/2744573.jpg

http://hostingbytes.us/images/3/3527282.jpg

http://hostingbytes.us/images/3/4099238.jpg

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2013, 07:32:47 pm »
Richie,

Looks good! I like the aluminum. Classy.

Steve

Offline N4Racing

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2013, 10:53:12 pm »
I agree, that looks pretty good.

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2013, 04:50:00 am »
Here is a few pictures of the gauge we made.
Last year we used just a standard bar with led lights.
Would like to hear your guy's thoughts.

I think that looks very nice! 

Did you make the sending unit as well? if so, would you mind sharing what material you used and how it is holding up?  Also looks like there's no contact at the natural position.

Andrew

Offline Richie25x

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2013, 10:12:39 am »
Thank you. Yes My dad made the sending unit as well.
It is made of a high grade plastic not sure what the name is.  I will let you know when i find out.
My dad had it sitting around for a number of years 20+  Hes had it since he starting machining.

Offline WIGGLES84

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2013, 10:52:06 am »
Thank you. Yes My dad made the sending unit as well.
It is made of a high grade plastic not sure what the name is.  I will let you know when i find out.
My dad had it sitting around for a number of years 20+  Hes had it since he starting machining.

Finding a plastic that can be machined and hold up to high temps has been a challenge. Most cost an arm and a leg so doing R&D with them would be very costly!

On that note, does anyone know how hot these engines can run?

Andrew

PS,
I was looking back @ some of the posts from DanH about the sending unit he was developing, I hadn't realized you have been looking for an alternative  to 600 kit for ~4 years Vern!

anything