Author Topic: starter or motor???  (Read 4797 times)

Offline Rfisher23

starter or motor???
« on: March 28, 2013, 06:43:30 pm »
Hey guys, i need some help lol, i have a 1200, ok when i hit the starter button to crank the car, sometimes it just spins and it doesnt engage, if i try it a couple times, it will finally engage and spin over and fire up, now at the track after the car has ran and its warm it dosent do it, but thru the week if i go out and hit the starter button i have to keep hitting it until it engages??? And suggestions please

Ricky Fisher #23

Offline thunder938

Re: starter or motor???
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 07:13:27 pm »
The older 1200 have a diff starter drive that  when its old and worn it will do that when cold and the oil is thick.  The only way to fix it is to change out the starter drive clutch to the newer style.  The problem is that you have to open the case to do it..so just live with it until it need a rebuild
Dave

Offline amp racing

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 08:41:39 am »
my 1200 does this also.. after sitting over the winter its worse, after a few hours of running its better... if you have a rebuild tell the rebuilder not something they change on a rebuild.

joe

Offline Rcrguy24

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:13:21 pm »
I had the same problem last year and was trying to decide the same thing..i figured a starter was easy to replace so bought one and never had the issue since. no guarentees just my experience.

Offline canabl

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 08:29:42 pm »
sorry to hijack a thread, mine is the opposite, i find that when the motor gets hot, the starter does not want to crank over, as if the battery is flat? any ideas?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 09:04:11 pm »
These engines tend to be a little fussy on voltage.
Make sure you have a fully charged battery to start with.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

anything