Author Topic: pushing help please??  (Read 21312 times)

Offline Chunk

Re: pushing help please??
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 01:10:55 pm »
Yes. I would say your car is in a pretty bad bind. Often times people put more pinion angle in a car to get more forward bite. Technically speaking, more pinion angle will give you more forward bite but make the car more free on entry. However, I think you've gone beyond that and just put a huge bind in it. I only run about .5 to. 1 degree at most. Where are your frame heights?

Offline Rfisher23

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 10:24:31 am »
3 5/8.    Rf3 3/4
4 1/8.     RR4 3/8

Toed out left 1/8

Pulled LF tie rod off last night and found it was a liitle bent, would that cause it to push any??
Ricky Fisher #23

Offline Richie25x

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 11:40:54 am »
Bump steer and ackerman can make the car push as well. check over your front end make sure nothing else is bent.
Set control arms parallel reset your bump and ackerman.

Offline Chunk

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 03:20:16 pm »
A slightly bent tie rod won't make a huge difference. As stated above, it's a good idea to check bump steer. Though your toe might be set at 1/8 in the pits, it could be 1/2" toed in under load. Where is your Ackerman set? I'd say you have too much spring split up front and wayyyyy too much pinion angle in my opinion.

Offline Rfisher23

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 04:06:57 pm »
Thanks alot for help guys, not sure how to check bump steer, but the holes on the spindles, the left front is centered and the right front is pushed all the way to the front of the hole

And my left side upper and lower control arms are in line perfect, but my right front arms, the top arms is back about a inch more than the bottom arm
Ricky Fisher #23

Offline Chunk

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 04:56:06 pm »
Ok. You've got more than enough Ackerman. If you don't have access to a bump steer gauge, find a digital level. Using shims and or washers, shim the tie rods until they're at the same angle as your lower control arms. This isn't near as accurate as a bump gauge but close enough. To check and make sure it's close, have one of your fat buddies stand on the front bumper and check toe again. As long as you're in the ball park of where you are when the car is at ride heights, you're good. It's a good rule of thumb to make the car bump out if anything at all. If it bumps in, it can make the car tight and darty. For sure bump up your LF spring to at least a 250 and put your pinion angle at 1 degree. I'm assuming the rear end is square?

Offline Rfisher23

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 08:21:56 pm »
Yes, rear end is square, ill check the bump tomm eve, where to you shim or put washers at on the tie rod to get it level?

And once i set the toe out and shim it and have someone stand on bumper the toe should still still stay the same when pressure on the front bumper?
Ricky Fisher #23

Offline Chunk

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 08:48:47 pm »
That is correct. You put shims and washers between the heim joints of the tie rods and the steering arm of the spindle on the tire end of the tie rods, and between the heims and steering rack on the inside.

Offline Rfisher23

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 01:57:20 pm »
Finally got to race the car, the push is no where as bad, but now the car is a little loose as in when i come in and get off the gas and turn the car back end wants to kick out a little and then goes in to a small push, but coming off corner it feels great, lf spring 225 rf 275 will it help if i put 250 lf?
Ricky Fisher #23

Offline Chunk

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 03:21:32 pm »
A 250 in the LF will help you turn a little better in the center but will affect the car the most on entry. Do you have a brake bias valve in your car? Being that these cars are such short wheel based, they are naturally free on entry. To a certain extent, it's something you just have to get used to. These cars are all about momentum. That being said, the car must turn good in the center. Often times you have to float the car into the corner and make sure you don't man handle it too much.

Offline Rfisher23

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 04:46:29 pm »
Ok gotcha thank, yeah i have i break bias in the car, its one of the all-star round knobs you turn, someone told me i could have had to much rear break, im guessing my break bias works eaither the front or rear? Its good coming off, its just gettin in its loose, maybe imdivig in to far and hard? I may try a 250 spring left front and see if thats better, i know my bump steer is not dead on i dont have a gauge yet ill check that, thanks alot
Ricky Fisher #23

Offline Chunk

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 06:00:38 pm »
Until you sit down and do your bump steer, just have a couple fat buddies stand on the front bumper to lower the frame heights and check toe again. As for brake bias, I always encourage people to start with the rear brake turned off all the way. If it starts to feel tight under braking, add a turn towards the rear to free it up. To put more front brake in the car, turn the knob counter clockwise. More rear is clockwise. As I said before, I'd suggest starting with the knob turned all the way to the left.

Offline Rfisher23

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2013, 07:42:39 pm »
Ok will do, thanks alot, when checking the bump steer, when i have some people stand on the front how much should the tires toe out??
Ricky Fisher #23

Offline Chunk

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 12:01:06 am »
Ideally pretty much none. If it toes out around a 1/16" or so, you're ok. The important thing is that it bumps out, not in. Even if it stays the exact same, that's fine, just don't let it bump in. If it bumps out 1/16", I'd set your toe at 1/16" out static (nobody pushing the front down). To get an idea of where you need to put shims, go to Home Depot and get a digital level that reads in degrees. If you're looking at the front of the car, try to get the tie rods to match the angle of the lower control arms. Try to put an even amount of spacers on the rack side and the spindle side. Although this isn't the preferred method, it will get you close.

Offline Rfisher23

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 06:12:53 pm »
I moved some spacers around, got the a arms same angel as steering rods now, actully dead on, and i set my toe at 3/16 and had a 300lbs man stand on the front end and the toe stayed the same and didnt move, is this kinda what i want?
Ricky Fisher #23