Author Topic: need wheelbase help  (Read 5779 times)

Offline Rfisher23

need wheelbase help
« on: March 06, 2013, 06:27:38 pm »
i was told i needed to run -1 castor left front and -4 right front, i wasnt able to get all the way to -4 on right front cause of heim, after i set it to -1 and -4 i checked wheelbase and my left side is 72 5/8 and my right side is 73 3/8 is this right???? thanks in advance in the help

Ricky Fisher #23

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: need wheelbase help
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 07:31:26 pm »
I've not seen any set-up with negative caster before, but I mainly deal with dirt.

Asphalt guys?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Richie25x

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 08:22:45 pm »
Start +1 lf and +4 rf   that is good starter base for asphalt. i have dipped in to negative on lf but never ever have seen anyone run negative on rf.

Offline Rfisher23

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 08:34:51 pm »
Explaines why i could not get my wheel base back, thanks alot for info i.will set it.back in the positive position and re check wheel base
Ricky Fisher #23

Offline Chunk

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 01:43:55 am »
When talking about caster, some call it positive some call it negative. The important thing is that the RF upper ball joint is behind the lower ball joint. 1 and 4 degrees is a good starting point. By all means, if your upper ball joint is 4 degrees ahead of your lower, you'll have a handful! The LF on the other hand should stay at about 1 degree of the upper ball joint back to 1 degree of it forward. I tend to run the RF at about 3.5 and the LF upper back 1. The more split you have between those numbers whether they're both negative or one is negative and one positive, the more the car will naturally turn in without input. Once that is set, square your rearend to get within wheel base spec. If you get it close but want to fine tune, you can bring either front tire forward or back by lengthening or shortening the struts. Hope this helps.