Author Topic: Inex rule changes 2013  (Read 110559 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Inex rule changes 2013
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2013, 05:24:43 pm »
 Now, there are lots of engine builders i don't care for, but the fact that these engines blow the sides out of them is not magic, nor is it ANY of the engine builders faults.  

I have to respectfully disagree with this part of your post.
When you illegally lighten a crank / rods / etc, failure is going to happen quicker than if you run legal stuff the way it was built by Yamaha.
There are guys spending $8000 on rebuilds, they are laid up without their motor for 2 months because the crank had to be sent "down south", and then they blow up 10-15 races later with a busted crank...thats not the fault of the builder?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Grape Competition Develop

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2013, 05:28:10 pm »
here's the deal, as long as we control the carb size, and the camshaft, and rev limit, the overall hp of the engine WILL NOT change with a displacement increase.  What it WILL do, is get to that peak hp number quicker in the rev range.  Bore checking is easy these days, and the old engine rules worked.  The problem is greed, and greed kills all business.  I'm so tired of seeing guys who love being lied to taken to the cleaners on "trick" engines, because, at the end of the day, he will figure out he paid for NOTHING and who is he going to call?  You will never see a phone call to US Legends as follows "Hey, i paid Glenn Bopp $1500 to cheat up a bando engine for me, and he screwed me".  Seals only keep honest people honest and this system is broken.

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2013, 05:31:34 pm »
Now, there are lots of engine builders i don't care for, but the fact that these engines blow the sides out of them is not magic, nor is it ANY of the engine builders faults.  

I have to respectfully disagree with this part of your post.
When you illegally lighten a crank / rods / etc, failure is going to happen quicker than if you run legal stuff the way it was built by Yamaha.
There are guys spending $8000 on rebuilds, they are laid up without their motor for 2 months because the crank had to be sent "down south", and then they blow up 10-15 races later with a busted crank...thats not the fault of the builder?

these engines don't break rods from anything other than 0 oil pressure when the steering wheel is turned.  If somebody is dumb enough to think that cutting those weights off that crankshaft will gain them anything, they get what they deserve.....because it doesn't add power, and at the end of the day you can take more rotating weight out of the clutch basket with aluminum floaters than falicon or ape can cut off the fj crank.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2013, 09:36:06 am »
how do they plumb the oil recovery system in ? from the breather to the can and where does the return go back to?
thanks joe

knoxracing

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2013, 01:33:13 pm »
From the breather to the can, out the bottom of the can to oil fill opening. There is a fitting available that replaces the screw cap. We run this system on all of our cars for several reasons.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2013, 02:24:07 pm »
Point is you shouldn't need to do that.
How do you monitor your blow by? You dont, it just returns the oil to the engine. You have no idea if there is a problem.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

knoxracing

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2013, 03:09:56 pm »
 No thats not the point and that was not the question! The question was asked as to "what the catch and return system is" ? I explained the system.  How do you monitor blow by should it happen, with a catch can or by how much oil has spewn all over the car or when the can overflows ? I could say the same to you, point is it should not happen. We run the catch and return for a few reasons, I will name a couple.
1)Safety fence in case you would develop an issue during a race, oil returns to the engine with out damaging the motor.
2)We can run a little more oil on those tracks that you are constantly turning left and the oil is slung to the side of the pan.
3)Ventilation and cooling, this releases ALOT of heat  to the catch can and out the vent. The vent is located higher than the engine.

Point is, if you have a blow by problem you will know it, usually you will still push a little out the vented filter on top the can from the draft. The benefits of the return system GREATLY outway  the risk (none).

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2013, 03:24:19 pm »
More US Legends engineering.....lets expect fluid to move forward in a tube while a car is accellerating.  And to top it off, that tube is almost horizontal....... Proves that plumbers are smarter than most.  Shaking my head

Youd be surprised how little oil comes out when you weld a bung to the cam cover near the center chain guide.....

knoxracing

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2013, 03:34:53 pm »
If for whatever reason you push oil out the vent into the can (top), your telling me the oil will not  flow out the bottom of the can back into the engine when the can is a  higher than the motor? Not to mention we are not going 200 mph and there are cautions during most events that would allow the oil to flow no matter the speed, and what about the additional venting? Shaking my head engine builder.

knoxracing

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2013, 03:38:06 pm »
PS, this system comes from one of your fellow builders, not USLC!

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2013, 03:39:35 pm »
Would be much easier to fix oil pressure problem after 20 years.... Have you ever seen "blowby" blow oil out on the dyno? Lol

Offline amp racing

« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2013, 04:10:44 pm »
we had an open motor blow 2 quarts out last year on ten laps, very dangerous behind my car.. i think a can is good to have...

thanks guys .. the motor builder said not to waste my money these motors should not blow oil out unless there is a problem like in yours..

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2013, 04:18:27 pm »
we had an open motor blow 2 quarts out last year on ten laps, very dangerous behind my car.. i think a can is good to have...

thanks guys .. the motor builder said not to waste my money these motors should not blow oil out unless there is a problem like in yours..
Did anybody do a leak down to verify air was going past the rings?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2013, 04:28:30 pm »
No thats not the point and that was not the question! The question was asked as to "what the catch and return system is" ? I explained the system.  How do you monitor blow by should it happen, with a catch can or by how much oil has spewn all over the car or when the can overflows ? I could say the same to you, point is it should not happen. We run the catch and return for a few reasons, I will name a couple.
1)Safety fence in case you would develop an issue during a race, oil returns to the engine with out damaging the motor.
2)We can run a little more oil on those tracks that you are constantly turning left and the oil is slung to the side of the pan.
3)Ventilation and cooling, this releases ALOT of heat  to the catch can and out the vent. The vent is located higher than the engine.

Point is, if you have a blow by problem you will know it, usually you will still push a little out the vented filter on top the can from the draft. The benefits of the return system GREATLY outway  the risk (none).
Don't know why you're in a huff Dennis, I just said that blowby should not happen. Sure, there will be a little, but if you fill a quart size can in a 20-25 lap feature, you have a problem. My position was that you wont see that problem developing if the can self empties.
Also not a fan of running extra oil, but that's just my opinion.
 I run a can, but dont drain it back into the engine, so yes, I open the petcock and check at the end of the night what, if any oil is in there.
Geez, we were getting along lately too  ;D

Either way, I've sold more catch cans this off season than the last 4 years combined
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline amp racing

« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2013, 05:31:13 pm »
yes grape i did a leak down test 100 percent.. one of those weird things so i was told, the engine sleeves had 5 races on them, one sleeve got ripples on the inside.. i was told this was only seen once before and no clue on how it happened..smooth wavy ripples.... brought to two of my friends auto machinests they said the same thing thats really weird..

joe     

anything