Author Topic: K&N Part HP-1004  (Read 17662 times)

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
Re: K&N Part HP-1004
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 09:11:30 pm »
What is the fitting for?

Robert

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 11:29:22 am »
Anyone have an idea what that fitting is for? Also, where can these bought?

Offline snapper

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 11:51:49 am »
That fitting is to tie in the oil cooler side of the oil pump (lower pressure side) to the main pump. These can be had almost anywhere, like carquest, napa etc..  Hope this helps.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 12:35:57 pm »

Since both sides of the oil pump have now combined, how is the oil cooled since the cooler has been eliminated?

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline slack11

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 01:09:07 pm »
Does that fitting run to a cooler, then back into the oil pan?  If you shimmed the oil pan valve to have the higher psi, could you do that?  Just trying to take a guess here, not really well educated on how to tie the two together....

I always forget, on the back of the engine, does the oil come out of the center outlet in the back, or the one right beside it. 

Randy, could your spin on adapter be modified like this?  Is there room on the side to tap and put a fitting like that on?

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 01:29:27 pm »
Randy,
    I already have your and am pleased with it except I would like to use the larger filters. Could you have the threads modified to accomadate that?

Thanks,

Robert

knoxracing

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 01:57:33 pm »
I would say they are running out the front port of the pan (pressure side), through a coller and returning into this fitting on the Texas adapter. Not a fan of this system,  trying to depend on the low pressure for all the cooling is not for me. I know lots of guys run the Texas system and like it, I want all the flow through my cooler I can get, including running the top end through the heat sync tubular cooler.

Offline slack11

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 02:19:13 pm »
Dennis,
   if you shimmed the oil pressure valve (think that is right?) in the pan to make it higher pressure, would that help this system, or is relying on that to still push all the oil through a cooling system too much?

Offline racerrad8

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 02:29:51 pm »
Dennis,
   if you shimmed the oil pressure valve (think that is right?)

The is not an oil pressure valve in the Yamaha.

You are referring to shimming the oil pressure relief , maximum pressure relief valve, pop-off valve.

There is nothing you can do to that valve to raise the oil pressure.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com

Offline racerrad8

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 02:30:43 pm »
Randy,
    I already have your and am pleased with it except I would like to use the larger filters. Could you have the threads modified to accomadate that?

Thanks,

Robert

Robert, I will find you a big filter you can use on my adapter.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com

knoxracing

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 02:31:54 pm »
I am sure it would help, I am not an engine guy so the amount of pressure increase I am unsure of.
 We do not shim anything, we run the three port adapter and the low volume or pressure side just adds  a little extra pressure and  rate of flow through the filter and cooler. i talked to G.E. about this years ago when we first started doing it and he said we would have no issues and we have not.  You know how the oiling and cooling topic goes, lol. It goes and goes and goes, so whatever works or anyone prefers is just fine and if they like it, great keep doing it.

Offline racerrad8

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 02:32:45 pm »
I would say they are running out the front port of the pan (pressure side), through a coller and returning into this fitting on the Texas adapter. Not a fan of this system,  trying to depend on the low pressure for all the cooling is not for me. I know lots of guys run the Texas system and like it, I want all the flow through my cooler I can get, including running the top end through the heat sync tubular cooler.

Dennis,

That is exactly my point, by the time you get the pressure drop from pumping the oil out & through a cooler how can adding that fitting to the dirty side of the filter benefit the oiling system?

Randy
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com

Offline slack11

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 03:02:22 pm »
Not to start a huge debate.. Just looking for a little advice.  I am plumbing a cooling system in my new car, which in your opinion is better, running a two cooler system, or tying the pressure side of the pan into a 3 port remote oil mount, and tying it into the main cooler from the back of the engine and using one? 

I see the benefits of having an extra smaller cooler from the pan, but then again you are adding weight and blocking more air from getting to the motor with the extra cooler as well.

You guys know a whole lot more about this than me..... I'll take your advice and run with it.  Right now I am in the middle of putting this together, and could go either way.

Thanks for any help/advice.

knoxracing

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 03:29:51 pm »
My preference is one cooler with the three port adapter and a tubular sync cooler for the top end.  Even though i am a dealer I prefer a different cooler than the Setrab, just my opinion.

Offline Grape Competition Develop

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 03:54:03 pm »
Is there anybody on here that was an official sealed engine builder in the past? Besides me?

Im just trying to figure if all this technical advice regarding engines is coming from people in the motorcycle performance engine business such as myself.  When i figure out what im dealing with we will discuss oil pressure and how it knows no direction other than leaks or blow off valves.  IF YOU ARE COMBINING BOTH SIDES OF THE OIL PUMP AND HAVENT HAD THE COOLER RELIEF BLOCKED, you are starting to bleed pressure above 30psi to the main galley.

anything