Author Topic: University of SC Legends Autocross project tracking thread.  (Read 48391 times)

Offline tbevirt

• Beer
Re: University of SC Legends Autocross project tracking thread.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 01:57:24 pm »
Yeah the events we would be running will not have reverse sections in them unless we really really screw up. Putting a car in revers is an automatic DNF in our region. As for tires, we really need a few more weeks until we worry about it. We have to get the car running strong and our first event is still a month out at best. Concentrations are on getting together as a team to go work on the car. As for tires, there are literally no other cars in the class our car would be in in our region so we would just be running to learn and beat our own times. Being that we dont have to be competitive that really loosens our requirements for tires in the like. We dont really care how cut they are.

Heres some of my videos from different autocrosses around our region to give you an idea of what we would be doing. My car is a 95 Miata, so about same HP as our legends car but  the miata weighs about 1000lbs more. Forgive my driving. These were my first events driving. Im pretty ok these days.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 11:05:36 am »
If you are interested, I will enroll you guys in the VMS Motorsports Factory Backed program at no charge to help you out a bit, saves 10% off parts and gets you entered into monthly drawings for parts, tools, and accessories
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline tbevirt

• Beer
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 09:22:35 pm »
If you are interested, I will enroll you guys in the VMS Motorsports Factory Backed program at no charge to help you out a bit, saves 10% off parts and gets you entered into monthly drawings for parts, tools, and accessories

That would be pretty cool. If you could PM me to let me know anything I need to do I would appreciate it.

So second bit of news. We did a little work on the car.  Mounted a miata battery, put brake fluid in, started cleaning the body and decided to take it for a quick drive. All seemed well.

Clearly we need to rebuild front calipers, the parts are coming in tuesday. But shortly after this a strange sound started coming from the transmission.

Any idea what this sound is?

Offline 96Formula6spd

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 09:39:40 pm »
Here is another person who works on the car. I have an idea on the problem but wont say till other people chime in.

Offline jhidde

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 09:57:12 pm »
Also, note for the sound above: The sound STARTED when the clutch pedal was depressed, but DID NOT stop when the pedal was released.
Schuyler

Offline tbevirt

• Beer
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 04:55:24 pm »
So project has been moving slow last week due to many of us having test and the like. Today we went out to rebuild our brake calipers. Found an interesting surprise, we have different size calipers. Im not super clear on which caliper we have on which side, but one fits our rebuild kit, one does not. I think our current plan of action is to try to find and buy a caliper of the size that fits our rebuild kits. That way they all match. Ill have to get "96Formula6spd" to post what they are. I havent been very involved in the brakes.

Future plans: Wednesday we are going to sync the carbs. I dont know if we are going to tare them down at all to see if they need cleaning. If that doesnt fix our sound then we will be taking the clutch out as well.

Ill post some photos later today when I get more free time.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 05:06:10 pm »
Here are some brake tidbits that were posted in another thread:

It will say if its a 2" or 2 1/8" on the caliper casting itself, that should narrow it down some for you.

A couple of Raybestos Numbers; (Calipers)

76-79 Celica    2 1/8"          Left; RWC45519 - Right; RWC45518
74-75 Celica    2"                  Left; RWC45517 - Right; RWC45516

Steve

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline tbevirt

• Beer
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 01:36:25 pm »
Some photos from the little work we did monday. Will be going back wednesday to sync the carbs and pull the clutch.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 01:44:49 pm »
Tyson,

Nice photo update. Thanks for posting!
Looks like you have some other interesting projects going on in the shop.  :)

Steve

Offline tbevirt

• Beer
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 04:46:00 pm »
Yeah the guy who is helping us out has some cool toys.

Offline jhidde

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 10:28:11 pm »
We went and opened up the clutch today to see if its was the source of the rattling sound. It looked very new and clean, no clutch residue evident, and the basket looked fine. The rattle sound is still there, but we plan to sync the carbs which should smooth the idle a little and hopefully reduce the sound.

Schuyler

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 11:16:59 pm »
Make sure you straighten out the rack plate and check it for cracks at the 90* bend.

That thing is bent way up on the left side.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline jhidde

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 11:37:12 pm »
Make sure you straighten out the rack plate and check it for cracks at the 90* bend.

That thing is bent way up on the left side.

Randy - RPM

Sorry, would you mind explaining a little? Pardon the ignorance, very new to the motorcycle engine/transmission/clutch world.
Schuyler

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 05:15:03 am »
Schuyler,

Randy is talking about the plate that your steering rack bolts to.
USLC now has a 1/4" thick plate available for about $8.00. A much sturdier piece!

Steve

Offline jhidde

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 09:28:20 pm »
Schuyler,

Randy is talking about the plate that your steering rack bolts to.
USLC now has a 1/4" thick plate available for about $8.00. A much sturdier piece!

Steve

Oh okay! We're going tomorrow to look at the car. I'll be sure to check it for cracks, and maybe have Tyson snap a few close up pictures of it.
Schuyler