Author Topic: No spark on Yamaha  (Read 6138 times)

Offline tbevirt

• Beer
No spark on Yamaha
« on: February 09, 2013, 09:41:52 pm »
So Im working with my schools sports car club to set up a legends car for autocross. We just finished rewiring the whole car and redoing many of the linkages. We tired to crank the motor the other day but we couldn't get spark. There is power going to the coils, but no spark leaving the plug, nor is there power in the wires. Any suggestions? We have a spare ecu and coils we are picking up later this week to try out, but I would be surprised if both coils were bad (neither spark), and from what I've heard, the ecu's are not known to fail very often. Below are pics of engine in car/serial/a video of it trying to start just because why not? Also if any one has links to wiring diagrams or manuals of any sort we would be super stoaked, anything and everything helps.

PS: has any one tried to run 15" wheels on their legends car? We dont have much funds to work with but have a good source for used 15" slicks for free but not 13" tires.

Thanks for the help!
Tyson

Video[/QUOTE]

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: No spark on Yamaha
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 07:57:53 am »
-No spark at the plug:  You sure you checked the killswitch, right?  Then take a look into the coils themselves, and the wiring to them.
Check ground wire(s).
Check Plug Wires: make sure plugs have correct wires on them , coil on left  goes to 1/4 right to 2/3.

Here is a link to FJ Owners site. They don't care for us legends and dwarf car folks. lol!
http://www.fjowners.com/index.php

Just some random thoughts

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline amp racing

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 02:05:10 pm »
key on power into the coils 12 bat. voltage.. oposite wire while cranking a blinking light..?

Offline jhidde

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 11:49:49 pm »
Turns out, the wires for the pick-up sensor had come loose. Once we soldered those back, she started right up (with the help of some ethanol carb-spray). Currently has no choke, but should start and run much better once one is bought and put on.
Once break fluid is added and we give her a break job, she should be ready to go for a test drive.  Also, I believe we may be using an FJ1200 ecu instead of the typical legends XJ1200 ecu. Any issues there if this will be used for autocross and not competing in any official legends events?
Schuyler

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 08:00:24 am »
Good to hear it was an easy fix.
I assume the two of you are working on the same project.
Don't think you will have any issues with tech on the FJ box.

As to the question of running 15" wheels; You will change your final gearing ratio using the larger wheels and tires. Also, ride height and handling will be affected.
I bought some of the old BFG's for my car. They can be had pretty cheaply. There are a couple of ads on the site for both wheels and tires. I've seen tires (BFG) anywhere from free to $20-$25 each. Could save a few dollars on shipping if someone in your area has some. Since neither of you have your profiles filled out, I do not know what area you live.

To meet the SCCA autocross rules, there are only a couple of tires you can use and still meet SCCA rules for Legends Cars and run in the F/M class. Otherwise, you will end up running against modified Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros and the likes.

Message me. Would like to trade some info on autocross.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline jhidde

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 03:31:55 pm »
Good to hear it was an easy fix.
I assume the two of you are working on the same project.
Don't think you will have any issues with tech on the FJ box.

As to the question of running 15" wheels; You will change your final gearing ratio using the larger wheels and tires. Also, ride height and handling will be affected.
I bought some of the old BFG's for my car. They can be had pretty cheaply. There are a couple of ads on the site for both wheels and tires. I've seen tires (BFG) anywhere from free to $20-$25 each. Could save a few dollars on shipping if someone in your area has some. Since neither of you have your profiles filled out, I do not know what area you live.

To meet the SCCA autocross rules, there are only a couple of tires you can use and still meet SCCA rules for Legends Cars and run in the F/M class. Otherwise, you will end up running against modified Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros and the likes.

Message me. Would like to trade some info on autocross.

Steve

Sent PM your way
Schuyler

Offline tbevirt

• Beer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 10:55:25 pm »
Made us a project thread to keep up to date on what the car is doing.
http://www.legendsracer.com/index.php?topic=2850.0

anything