Author Topic: Sealed Motors?  (Read 42259 times)

knoxracing

Re: Sealed Motors?
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2013, 04:19:06 pm »
Oh yes i do remember your father passed, I am so used to seeing his forst name associated with the your last  name I called you Rick, sorry for that one.  Thanks for clarifying the Dwarf issue as we have had so much discussion about getting behind the seals I wanted to make sure we were on the same page in the liner discussion.

Offline Grape Competition Develop

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2013, 04:44:07 pm »
While i was still an employee of us legends and my engine shop was operating, i was asked numerous times to build "trick" sealed engines.  Building a 1250 cc engine that has trouble clearing 135 hp on my dyno, really doesnt stroke my ego.  Here is me running some of our fun stuff. 600 cc's, electronic fuel injection on methanol making north of 140 hp at 15k revs.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 05:42:05 pm »
If that is a new motor from the new and improved engine shop, that's scary
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Grape Competition Develop

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2013, 06:05:30 pm »
serial number is p506e--0033xx if that gives you an idea as to how new it was.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2013, 06:53:33 pm »
Nah, I'm a 1200 guy, that could be a serial number off a Sunbeam Tiger horn ring for all I know about 1250's.
Maybe Dennis can find out about it though. They supposedly keep records of who does what to every engine now
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

knoxracing

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2013, 10:14:43 pm »
Is it really an xx or is that just for didgit filling purposes? The motor number right now  are in the upp 4000's. The motor would be a couple years old. The reason i ask about the xx is because thereis an x that signifies replacement cases, I am guessing you used x to fill the digits.

Offline phylzub02

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2013, 07:31:03 pm »
what is it , that others are alllowed to build the sealed engines????are the likes of ken joyce, hank scott, curt andrews and such allowed to rebuild these stillor is it strictly with the 600 engine shops in vegas and north carolina???i amjust wondering if we should have one of the others build one for me or send it thru 600??
thanks very much

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2013, 08:34:03 pm »
Just USLC
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2013, 09:15:49 pm »
The 600 (USLC) sealed engine program went into effect a couple years back.
USLC shop only.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Kevin Yeatts

• Kev's Corner
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2013, 11:32:47 pm »
For those of you who are members on the Yahoo Legends group, please participate in our poll on the sealed engine program.  Thus far we've have 56 responses on the issue.  The purpose of the poll is to get a feel for the competitor's view of the program.  It's completely anonymous.  Thus far, we've had 1 respondent vote that an engine from the USLC engine shop is likely to be top quality for a decent price.  Whether this is true or not, should the general population in the series have such a low opinion of the engines?  I've said it before and I'll say it until it's not true - you shouldn't have to drop $5k+ on a motor and HOPE it's a good one.  With so many members holding such a low opinion of the program is there any wonder outside sources are thriving? 

Good luck to everyone headed to Florida and good luck to all in 2013.
Learn to set up your Legend YOURSELF! One book can make it possible. 

http://www.kevscorner.com/SetupManual
Kevin Yeatts - Yeatts Racing - Follow me on Facebook & @KevND27 on Twitter

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2013, 12:08:09 pm »
Can anyone get information on how many sealed and open motors are run at the Summer shootout or the Nationals, plus what failures occur? We are new to this and hear conflicting "rumors" of which motor is better.

Robert

knoxracing

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2013, 12:27:13 pm »
I am NOT getting into a a debate over what is better and where to vote or who to vote for, that b.s. belongs elsewhere.  S10 as a USLC Dealer and set up shop I can tell you we saw basically no 1200's that were really competitive. I do believe there were a couple at Kentucky that ran pretty well. anUSLC has the FACTS on who ran what and where.  Chad from USLC told me today just before I wrote this that he believes they saw about 5 1200's at the shootout and none were competitive. He told me as to his knowledge not one 1200 was in the big money race in Charlotte. The dirt guys and racers in local tracks will tell you what they are seeing. I am giving you my honest  answer from what I see on asphalt where we raced in 2012. Again, I hope guys from the local stuff near you give there info, it could be very different depending on whaere they race. If you are racing big shows, you will need a stout 1250 to compete in the front with these asphalt guys. I hope this helped as I tried to give you a fair answer without shoving the sealed engine down your throat.

Offline Team Zero

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2013, 12:39:41 pm »
I run the sealed motors and do just fine up here in Wisconsin, there are also some guys running the 1200's and a few of them are super fast on dirt here. There was one getting a lot of looks from the INEX inspector over the course of the season, it has big power and it sounds different then the rest of the cars I'm sure that's why. At Angell park we pit in the infield and are 20' feet from the driver's side pipes from the fence, I for myself heard the pitch of that motor and it's got some snort!!
Brian Peterson

Offline slack11

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2013, 02:22:04 pm »
To me that is what sums up the current status of the sealed 1250 program....  You said "a stout 1250 is needed to compete at the national level".  If the sealed program was truly a sealed, even, package to all racers, there would be no "stout" 1250's.........

It is kinda sad that uslc has to slant the rules to have the 1250's be more competitive than the 1200's... If they were confident in their abilities, they should have the same compression, rules, etc. and rely on their motors to be the selling point, not the fact that you are allowed something different and better if you buy into their program.   

Some of the bureaucracy frustrates me.......

knoxracing

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2013, 03:41:37 pm »
Slack, you misunderstood or I should have been clearer. By STOUT I am talking fresh, not 40 races old.  Sealed or unsealed after  12 races you are losing HP. No way around it, a 12 or 15 race old motor SEALED OR UNSEALED its down.  6 to 8 horse power is a lot when you are talking about the top 5 cars at some races.  This is why discussion is good, to clarify what is being said!

anything