Author Topic: panhard trouble  (Read 7486 times)

Offline IraceLegends77

panhard trouble
« on: January 22, 2013, 07:25:35 am »
Last night when trying to set the ride heights in the car I could get three and not the left rear. I have done plenty of set ups and never had a problem like this before. Setting ride heights is uselly a 10 minute job. I went around and around couldn't find what was bound up but finally un-hooked the panhard bar and it settled. My question is has anyone else had this happen and what was the fix. I did replace the bar this winter and measured it against the old one but it still has the car bound up. Thanks for any help.

PS with it hooked up it holds the left rear up and will not let the car down on the spring.

Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

knoxracing

Re: panhard trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 07:33:22 am »
was the car taken aprt over the winter?

Offline amp racing

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 08:49:20 am »
is the heim joint bound up?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 09:08:25 am »
Is he rear end square? If leading the left front enough, could cause the panhard bar to hit the rear housing at the pumpkin
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:50:39 am »
The reason I ask if the car was taken apart is because I have seen these issues before, generally after a rebuild or tear down. i believe you have the cross weight either so high or so low it is causing your issue. Roll it on the scales and see where you are at. The other thing i would look at is the clip position on the shocks, make syre they match the spring size (8 or 10 inch). Generally the cross weight being so far off will do this.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 10:16:29 am »
Yes the car was taken apart over the winter and No none of the hiems are binding. I did make sure that the bar was not hitting the pumpkin in the back. I will roll it on the scales tonight and see where it is. It has a different spring package on it and have no idea where the cross may be after the tear down. It really had me scratching my head last night so I will back at it tonight.

knoxracing

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 10:21:57 am »
Sometimes you just think "what the hell" LOL. Call me if you need help!

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 06:20:12 am »
OK, here is the follow up just in case someone else runs into this kind of problem. I had the car so bound up that any movement that I made did nothing. So I put it on the scales and found that I had 28.9% cross in it. I adjusted the cross back to close to 50% and started over and everything feel into place. I have done many set-ups but never ran into this problem before. Thanks to Dennis Knox for taking time out of his day to help. Now just need to finish up and head to Florida where it is warm.

knoxracing

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 08:27:43 am »
Scott, I appreciate you thanking me. I have done the same thing several times, lol. We all need to help each other, makes safer and batter racing. SEE YOU IN Fl.!

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 04:06:01 pm »
Thanks for the update. That's good info to pass around.

Robert

anything