Author Topic: Brake Update  (Read 86999 times)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Brake Update
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2013, 11:05:16 pm »
Its a medium duty pad compound designed for dirt racing with  vented rotors...check Wilwoods site for the #10 compound. They aren't going to last long on asphalt applications
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2013, 08:16:39 am »
LOL, this is another statement that has just been thrown out there with no merit or research. These brakes and pads were tested, the #10 pad went 500 laps and is on the test car without issue. There are many compounds available for your driving style.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2013, 08:55:48 am »
Looks to be a nice caliper, from the picture posted it looks to be a fixed caliper versus a floating one like we have now?  Does it have a piston on both sides or is it still only the one side?  Also, no one has really said what the main goal of these are (less drag? better stopping power?)

Dan

Offline racerdad

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2013, 09:06:49 am »
There's a picture ? Where would I find this
Thanks Cody

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2013, 09:14:54 am »
Cody,

Pic posted on page 3 of this thread.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

knoxracing

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2013, 09:45:47 am »
Dan,
The brakes on the front of the car became an issue as USLC has used the Celica caliper since the beginning. The caliper has become harder and harder to come by IN QUANITY and they new the future of that caliper was a problem, that was the supply aspect.
USLC had racer after racer complaining about spending $800 to $1500 on a brake system to compete with the guy that had spent this amount of money. USLC weighed all of the options and looked to supplying cars down the road. They tested multiple caliper with multiple size pistons and went with the Wilwood. Now we have a race proven front brake system that should hold up. If you have lets say Brakeman stuff or you are happy with what you have you will be fine. This is a $400.00 brake system that will provide USLC a product it can use for years. I will say from what I have seen I am looking forward to putting them on cars and not having to screw with the crap we have had. Its one bracket that bolts directly to the spindle base with two bolts, the caliper bolts to that plate. No more slides, clips or brackets from 1979. The downfall for a dealer is trying to caryy the right stuff for both systems as they take different parts including the braided line. Time will tell!

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2013, 09:58:12 am »
LOL, this is another statement that has just been thrown out there with no merit or research. These brakes and pads were tested, the #10 pad went 500 laps and is on the test car without issue. There are many compounds available for your driving style.
The Hell it is Dennis, read it for yourself!

Directly from Wilwood's website:

BP-10

Compound Data Sheet 
    Use & Caution:

Medium friction, smooth engagement, low abrasion on iron rotors.
Flat torque curve.
Low to medium wear rate, increases as temperature increases.
Street Use OK

Application:

High performance street / strip, drag race, and track day categories using vented iron rotors.
Light to medium braking on dirt tracks including late models, modifieds, sportsman, and street stocks.
Disc brake conversions on street rods and muscle cars.
     Characteristics:

Medium friction compound with the low noise and low dust of a street performance compound and the increased friction characteristics of a semi-metallic race compound.
Smooth engagement with consistent response from a flat torque curve throughout its entire effective temperature range.
Good low to middle temperature wear rates.
Beds quickly and provides fast response without excessive abrasion on vented iron rotors.

Compound Temperature Range & Torque Values 

BP-10 Compound Temperature Range & Torque Values

Temperature range and overall friction value are the primary considerations for pad selection. The pads must be capable of maintaining the proper amount of friction for stopping power within the temperatures that will be realized on the track during the event. Then, overall wear rate must be considered. For most asphalt and road race applications, compounds in the high temperature ranges over 1000°F range are usually necessary. Dirt track, drag race, and street performance applications usually operate at temperatures between 500° and 1000°F. Keep in mind that these are general ranges, and not absolute values. Many factors and unforeseen influences can affect brake temperatures. The best indicator for pad selection will always be on track performance. If pad fade (friction loss) due to overheating occurs, then improved cooling, a heavier rotor, or a higher temperature range pad may all become necessary. 
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Chunk

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2013, 10:00:51 am »
Yeah it is a fixed caliper and is a dual piston. I'm guessing the second piston gets its fluid through ports in the housing? I didn't see any crossover tubes in the kit.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2013, 10:02:13 am »

And here is the direct link. Guess Wilwood doesnt know their product as well as you do
http://www.wilwood.com/brakepads/BrakePadsApp.aspx?compound=BP-10
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline svtmatt

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2013, 10:10:21 am »
Dennis, I'm not trying to start an arguement, but 500 laps isn't really that long for a set of pads.  In any given race weekend, with practice, a 10 lap heat race, and a 30 lap feature race, I may run anywhere from 60-100 laps on a race day.  So these pads might last me as few as 5 or as many as 9 races?  I get a season or more (15-20 races) out of the different type of racing pads I've used over the years.  

Is 500 laps simply what's been accumulated, or was 500 laps the target for useful life of the pads?

MT
Matt Todd
Michgan Legends #8

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2013, 10:15:39 am »
Do note that Dennis said "There are many compounds available for your driving style".
This statement leads me back to my earlier post that there are other brake pad compounds available.
I am guessing that the #10 pad is what comes with the system at initial purchase.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2013, 10:27:04 am »
From what I have been told, the 10 comes with it.
I dont know, but Im sure Dennis is correct that other compounds will be available. Just wonder why they chose to go with the weakest pad, unless you will only be able to buy pads through USLC, then it makes sense from a business standpoint.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2013, 11:19:49 am »
Yes, there will be a few different compounds available (however the #10 is the only one available right now. Give it a bit for them to produce these and the others will be available), just as there are with the current system. For example, you can buy cheap Wagner pads, or step up to Mintex, Axxis, Hawk, or carbotechs, depending on what you like. The new system will be no different, except that all of the pads will come from wilwood.

I cant for the life of me figure out why guys are complaining about this system. it is $389 for the entire kit, saves 15lbs, and performs as well as the $800-$1000 brakeman stuff. The new system eliminates the crappy shims and springs that we currently have (that require weekly maintenance to perform correctly.

I have these on order, and can't wait to use them. I will jump on board with Dennis and offer $20 off the set to anyone that buys before 6/1/2013, as long as you mention this forum. I believe these will be a great set, and if $20 off helps you all to want to try them i am happy to do so.

You must call me to get this deal though, this won't be available on the website. 585-721-1795
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2013, 11:35:16 am »
Randy, do you think the pad will last longer on the Legend because of the weight difference? Although I guess being on the front they will take most of the abuse.

Nope, since 80% of the braking happens at the front wheel, they will probably wear much faster.

That will all depend on the compound used as well.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline slack11

« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2013, 11:48:43 am »
I get that they are probably a decent system, I think some of us get upset that every time you turn around it costs more and more money to stay competitive….. Last year light rims, now new brakes… It will never end, as long as INEX wants to make more money this will be the trend….  

I had no problems with the old brakes, maintenance is not an issue…. Cleaning and weekly maintenance is free… only effort involved….. Are the old calipers that hard to find?  I have heard yes and no.   Like I have stated before, instead of catering to the few who have spent 800 to 1000 on brakes, why not write a rule that prohibits that group from spending that much, and write a rule that would help the MAJORITY of us who don't have an endless supply of money.

frustrating...... Every year there is an additional 300 - 500 dollars added on to the total budget because INEX has written a new rule allowing something "new and improved"

I understand why dealers love this, it keeps people ordering stuff all the time, it's just difficult for the weekend racer who does this for fun.

anything