Author Topic: Steering Bushing Replacements  (Read 10474 times)

Offline chadvarner85

Steering Bushing Replacements
« on: December 05, 2012, 06:58:51 am »
Is there anything availible to replace these junk white USLC steering shaft bushings.

knoxracing

Re: Steering Bushing Replacements
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 08:43:34 am »
There are many variations of the steering column support, the rule book say we cannot use bearings in the column supports. ALTHOUGH, I have seen alot of car with brass bushings tha are  you can buy at most hardwares. They are made like the stock ones in the way they are made, the tolerances are much better.  In the next couple days I will see what I can find and verify the legality.

Offline chadvarner85

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 10:50:35 am »
Bearings were my first thought. I dont think in my area they would say anything about it. Dont really go anywhere near "the Hub". And its not really a performance advantage. Ive got to do something better than the junk that comes from them.

knoxracing

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 10:53:25 am »
I really dont know why bearings ar not allowed, there is no advantage and the stock piece is pretty crude. I will work on that a little.

Offline slack11

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 10:57:54 am »
I would be interested in something like this too.  I am the same way, don't venture very far, and if they really want to give me a hassle over something like that, they are really, really, really doing there job in tech.  Our guy is very good, but not sure he would bother me for something like that.

Offline racerdad

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 08:21:21 pm »
Sorry still a little  new what are we talking about? Is this in the tube going through the fire wall ? Thanks cody

knoxracing

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 10:20:21 pm »
Yes, the tube that goes thru the firewall. There is a plastic like bushing that the steering shaft passes thru, they are not real tight to the shaft and allow movement. I spend alot of time when I do steering shafts, the quick disconnect that the wheel attaches to is the biggest source of play. Guys this should be a topic on its own, its SO IMPORTANT to get the play out of the steering, when you twitch the steering wheel, the fron t wheels should twitch. Think about it, slop in the wheel is magnified when the car is hauling ass thru the corner and you are twitching on the wheel. GUYS We NEED TO HAVE AWEEKEND TOGETHER AND GO OVER THE WHOLE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline slack11

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 06:33:58 am »
My quick disconnect has a lots of play in it. What do you do to tighten this up,or is one brand better than another to eliminate this play.   I just bought a car and gotta change some things.   
Also what are opinions on the upper rod end that the column runs through.  What is the best setup here.  Again, gotta replace mine, and have seen some guys with two of these rod ends there to help, and some other setups.  Just curious what others use.

Offline legends13

• Northeast Legends
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 04:30:04 pm »
In my opinion, the BEST setup is to get rid of the oversize heim altogether and add a welded shaft on the upper end, just as on the lower. The downside is that once you do this, there is no adjusting the steering wheel location. As for eliminating slop in the quick disconnect, make sure you have a splined one, and not the hex one. The Hex have a lot more slop. Also, weld the U-Joint that has the bolt through it with a quick tack weld. This is another location that can have a lot of slop.
Brad Salatino
Northeast Legends - Authorized USLC Dealer

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 05:17:06 pm »
Definately tack weld as said above, will keep it tight and keep the holes from elongating.
I haven't found a "better" Steering shaft heim yet.
Sweet for the splined disconnect
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 08:14:37 pm »
My favorite Qick connect is made by Strange, its tight as they get. It take some getting used to because the wheel only goes on in on spot.  I agree getting rid of the 3/4 heim is ther best way, but we use a bracket sold by Allstar, it is a weld on bracket that replaces the stock so it does take some fab work.

Offline slack11

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 08:59:13 pm »
My upper shaft has been welded at the bottom, and the heim now has slop in it..... So I am stuck replacing the whole upper shaft, after I cut it apart to get the heim off......  Sucks but might as well do it the right way this time...

Offline chadvarner85

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 07:03:19 am »
Dennis was you able to find anything out for possible legal upgrades?

Offline chadvarner85

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 05:33:24 pm »
I've made a bearing replacement. Check the for sale steering section for more details…

anything