Author Topic: Front Clip Height  (Read 7645 times)

Offline Racingtrader.ca

• Racing Classifeds
Front Clip Height
« on: December 08, 2012, 03:03:04 pm »
I picked up another chassis and the front clip is at 6 1/4 height, The clip is straight and fits in the jig fine, I am being told from local "clip re-placers" that I need to cut it off and set it at 5 5/8. It will flex to 5 7/8 (legal) when jacked up to pass tech. I am not looking to bend the rules I prefer to race legal. What benefits does lowering the front clip have and is 5 5/8 even legal before jacking the car..

Mark Williams
Owner
Racing Classifieds & Track Forums / Sticker Fool
Tel: 902-448-6903

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Front Clip Height
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 06:45:38 pm »
62. RIDE HEIGHT: The car may have no less than 3 ½ inches between the bottom of the frame rails (not the weld) and the ground. This measurement is to be checked without the driver in the car, as raced, without lifting of the car of any kind.

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 11:18:58 pm »
I get the 3.5" rule as they check us on that every week but I'm a little confused on the front clip height question. Can you elaborate on your question.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 07:00:52 am »
Upon re-reading the question, I think I understand the question a little better.
Mark, I think the answer to your measurement question is in the appendix section (page 109).
The diagram shows the front clip measurements.

Steve

Offline Racingtrader.ca

• Racing Classifeds
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 09:54:32 pm »
Yes 109 is the correct diagram. When installing the front clip you can lower it and help the front end geometry.  It works well for oval racing but I have heard lowering it is a disadvantage for road race cars. Anyone on here install clips that can explain how it all works better?
Mark Williams
Owner

Offline Racingtrader.ca

• Racing Classifeds
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 10:28:18 pm »
No one? I asked more questions today and they trim some of the kick up off before installing. It lowers the overall height and also gets the rack down to set your bump better but it also allows you more adjustments on the control arms and lowers the engine.
Mark Williams
Owner

Offline amp racing

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 01:01:48 am »
i would like to know more on this also...

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 01:59:35 am »
At 6 1/4" your front end would sit too low. You would have to jack more height in just to meet legal minimum ride height.
Your engine would sit higher in the chassis, assuming the mounts are placed in the legal tolerences relative to the frame rails.
Make a model out of popsicle sticks, or just a rough diagram on paper, to see what I am saying.
Zeeing the front and rear clips lower the center of the car (main frame rails).
Keeping the car low works equally well for road racing or ovals on pavement. On dirt, a slight incresase in ride height promotes better weight transfer and keeps those low parts (pan, frame rails, etc...) from getting damaged. Remember that the dirt track cars have ruts to deal with.

My random thinking

Steve