Author Topic: Engine popping at high rpm  (Read 17049 times)

Offline Tony814u

Re: Engine popping at high rpm
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 09:32:37 am »
A few years ago we had a very similar situation to the one  mentioned.  We have two cars and only one was suffering from this intermittent problem.  On an off weekend of racing we went to the local track to practice/troubleshhot. We would trade parts off of the good running car  onto the the popping car to try to find the problem. Bottom line of this whole deal is the on and off switch.  After we switched it, which by the way, was no where near the first handful of items switched, the problem went directly over to the other car- only.
When we returned home I opened up the bad switch and found a whole  bunch of  some sort of watery gook.  I also checked the other switch and it also had a little bit of moisture inside of it.
I hope this helps some, now I just change the switches out every three to four months.  This problem has not come back again.
I have tried high dollar switches, mid range, covered, and hell I even went as far as to try to seal a switch with silicone on the outside to keep out moisture without luck,they all seem to get wet internally and start playing tricks on the electrical system.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 09:50:35 am »
Check your wiring harness for a wire rubbing on a sharp edge or a bad connector. Could be shorting out or losing contact when the chassis flexes a certain way
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Zero Hero

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 08:48:02 am »
Thanks fellas, it might be a while before I can test these fixes (winter is here)  but as soon as I can I will give these ideas a shot.  I do think it's electrical though.

FFmedic

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 01:01:23 pm »
Mine did this popping and backfiring also acouple yrs back.  Turned out the wires coming from the timing plate contacted my motor and melted the coating causing a short when the motor was hot enough for the wire to stick to it.

Offline Zero Hero

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 08:27:27 pm »
FF Medic, I think (hope) you may have found my issue.  I traced my wires from my ignition box and timing plate... low and behold I have a wire that has contacted the motor and is melted.And yes I had looked at this before, but somehow had missed it. I certainly hope that this will solve my problem.  First chance I get to run it I will let you know, Thanks!

Offline amp racing

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 09:46:23 pm »
we had that happen never found it for sure.. but i think we had a tight valve guide and was sticking..i say i'm not sure because it blew up ,when the motor was relaced the pop and skip was gone..