Author Topic: Cooler setup?  (Read 8861 times)

Offline slack11

Cooler setup?
« on: November 05, 2012, 05:33:31 pm »
Bought a car, and this has a cooler connected to the oil pan ports, and the spin on oil filter on the rear of the motor?  This does have a top end oiler, it is a sealed motor. Anyone else run this setup?  Is it better to run the cooler from the back of the motor like a hank Scott setup?  Guy told me he did this to save weight, and never had a cooling issue, just want a second opinion or two ( don't think he would tell me it was no good if he was tring to sell me the car......)

Thanks

Offline Schmitt20

Re: Cooler setup?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 09:37:42 pm »
I ran a spin on filter at the back of the motor and when I sent my motor in they said it was fried

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 07:18:24 am »
I have talked to a couple of engine builder who don't like the texas style filter set up. I don't know why they don't like it, it is just what they said that and I respect their opinion. We have a four car team and half run the Hank set-up and half run the texas one. None of are cars have had oil failures yet. Which will lead us back to the GREAT oil debate and trust me we have been there before. I would say run a good oil and which ever type you like because I have seen both work.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline slack11

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 07:36:44 am »
Thanks for the opinions, don't want to open up the oil debate, just was hoping some would chime in with their experiences... I like tying  the system together, but I have a sealed engine and not sure if they have shimmed the low side psi....  Think I may go back to a two cooler sytem, one from the oil pan ports, and one larger one from the back of the engine... I ran this for two years on my open motor and it seemed to work very well.... May add a touch of weight to the car, but rather have cooler temps and a running engine and give up a couple of pounds.

Looking at old posts I like what Dennis was saying about running the heat sink on the top end oiler, that may get thrown on as well..... Guess I am kinda paranoid about oil temps and these engines.....  Just don't want to foot the bill for a rebuild before I have to.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 10:59:32 am »
Slack 11...I have personally run both the Texas spin on and full HSR remote set up that mounts under header.  I have never had a problem with burning up an engine with the Texas style either.  I will vouch for the HSR remote system if that is something you can fit into your budget.  After installation,  I immediately noticed much better & uniform oil pressures, especially still seeing 5-10 PSI at idle when hot at end of a race.  I also noticed a significant drop in oil temps as I do run both an oil pressure & oil temp gauges to verify these findings.  Hope this helps!

Good luck! Mark  :)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline slack11

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 11:04:30 am »
I know you said it was significant, but about how much did your oil temp drop when you switched to the hank scott system. 

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 01:32:37 pm »
Instead of coming in after a 15-20 feature at 320-340°F, temps were often between 275-300°F after feature.  Just my experience and keep in mind this may vary with ambient temp conditions at time of race.

Good luck!  ;D
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

anything