Author Topic: aluminum brake lines  (Read 17074 times)

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
Re: aluminum brake lines
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 09:43:11 am »
They didn't happen to add any extra steel to the door area? I know nj rules dictate that they need to add steel to the left side door for safety reasons.

Dan

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 11:58:25 am »
Aluminum brake lines are a bad idea.

Aluminum, copper and other non-ferrous metal will work harden due to vibration and crack & break.

The 3/16" steel brake lines for the complete car cannot weight more than 3-4 lbs.

You need to look elsewhere to save weight. That is a major safety issue.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline Schmitt20

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 10:05:21 pm »
Jst to add my 2 cents about brake lines..

I run braided lines throughout the whole car and have had no problems with a spongy pedal.
Thats racing on dirt though.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 11:07:53 pm »
Jst to add my 2 cents about brake lines..

I run braided lines throughout the whole car and have had no problems with a spongy pedal.
Thats racing on dirt though.

Yeah, I don't know, never tried it. When I approached Aeroquip to put together a whole car kit, they advised me not to....but then again, we don't use the brakes on dirt much. Anybody run full braided lines on asphalt?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline dlacey82

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 11:23:21 am »
I can chime in here regarding the weight issue and tell you that it IS possible to have 50lbs or more of misc weight on your car.

I have a 34 Ford Coupe that weighed 1181 race ready when I got it. (That is with 20 lbs of lead)

It now weighs 1110 race ready. (That is with 20 lbs of lead)

I removed my electric cooling fans, all my guages and misc wires, any metal shrouds in the front end, plastic ducts in the front end, a parker pumper system, all extra zip ties, wires, steel brackets etc that were there but not serving a purpose.

I switched to the lightweight aero wheels, and changed ALL my body panels. In the end I saved 71 lbs on the rebuild!

The two biggest surprises to me were the difference in weight of the body panels and how much weight removing my guages saved me.

Removing the guages and misc wires saved me a total of 9 lbs.

I dont have a total weight reduction on the body panels as I did them one piece at a time over a one year period, but I can tell you that if you have the old OLD style body like I did it is extremely heavy compared to the new stuff because there is a ton of fiberglass used and its much thicker.

My old main shell weighed 38 lbs and my new one weighs 27lbs.

It all adds up like you said but there are probably a lot of places to save weight other than brake lines.

Feel free to message me with any questions and I will gladly try and help you shed some weight if youd like.

Derek

Offline racerdad

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 06:53:56 pm »
so can anyone tell me what the thickness of the floor pan is
thanks cody

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 08:31:48 pm »
My coupe chassis is pretty old so this may not be current standards, but my floor pan is 1/16"
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline dcpainting

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 08:53:37 pm »
My son races in Florida we put steel braided lines on whole car brakes went out beginning of season and totaled a car since new braided lines have had no brake issues and we run all brakeman calipers pads and rotors so we are hard on brakes where mushroom hard lines into rear drum we were cracking them I think due to all the beating and banging so so far theses lines have worked and I had local gut make me up and cost 140 for all

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 11:38:54 pm »
My son races in Florida we put steel braided lines on whole car brakes went out beginning of season and totaled a car since new braided lines have had no brake issues and we run all brakeman calipers pads and rotors so we are hard on brakes where mushroom hard lines into rear drum we were cracking them I think due to all the beating and banging so so far theses lines have worked and I had local gut make me up and cost 140 for all

So you are running braided brake lines currently?

Dan

Offline dcpainting

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 06:09:56 pm »
We've have had them on thier for 4-5 months really like them steel braide with rubber clear coat on outside 

anything