Author Topic: Track side tuning  (Read 30988 times)

Offline dcpainting

Re: Track side tuning
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 06:39:26 pm »
Our scale numbers were 186 rf 158 left front like 198 lr 207 rr axle 167/8 back from rear of frame  spacers on front spindle 11 top 1 or 2 bottom two spacer inside two spacers outside to offset front still rolls thru hoop ride height were like 2 1/4 lf 2 1/2 lr  almost 2 3/4 rf close to 3 rear hein on front spindle left side towards back r side toward front gap to move heim on a arm would set front rods to a arm at like 71/2 to get front scale numbers once u find where yous is supposed to be measure rods to middle of heim keep me that way wanted axle at minimum distance off frame it's in rule book  left side measurement off frame take bearings boil in transmission fluid til rust orange and use tri flow every week foaming tri flow  spacer are opposite on other side only put left side put springs around brake caliper to stop drag want car to roll as freely as possible I used to run about 39-41 percent cross gears  are different for motor and carbs I always tried to run on a 15 hub and when I got tires cut I wanted tires to be as small as possible no more than 551/2 if possible bigger tires slow car  and places in nc to get motor and carb dynoed to sinc carb and motor well worth money  take clutch apart every week and grease needle bearings and slides  on clutch shoes  caster and camber u can get an heat thermometer  to check heat on tires want even alway across tire that will tell u your caster and camber but I usually ran like 3 l and 5-6 right well there it is

Offline dbradley

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 08:41:23 pm »
Thanks so much for the information all.it is much appreciated...this is great food for thought.  Does anyone have any good recommendations for tire cutting?
Thanks
Darin

Offline dbradley

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 07:57:16 am »
I really hate to see this thread die off..We are off to such a great start..we have been working with USLC to get my young son all fitted with his devices and undies.. For all that may be interested HANS is changing the sport model. They have cut pricing. Got my sons HANS for $495!!  He  takes a 13" seat, will get the one with the HANS recess and the halo. He is going to need about 2" of padding un der his butt.
Has any body  got any helpful advice on elevating his feet and bringing the steering column back? He is going to have to have the pedals mounted in front of the steering rack. It looks like no problem save for the throttle  linkage tab.
In  karts I used a Footbox. It was made for small tikes in Tag karts. But it fit right into his oval kart. It really  helped him with leg fatigue..
Thanks
Darin

Offline Billy13

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 10:46:10 am »
2 things, you can move the seat mount bar if you need too.  I cut mine and moved it back to get my son off the steering wheel.  As for tire cutter, I use a guy in Charolette.  He will pick them up from INEX cut them and take them back to INEX so they can ship them.  if you want his number message me and I will get it to you.  Don't like putting #'s on forum boards
Go Kart racers
BAD K Racing

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 01:23:47 pm »
For all that may be interested HANS is changing the sport model. They have cut pricing. Got my sons HANS for $495!! 

That is because HANS sold out to Simpson.

They bought up Safety Solutions years ago and so now they have cornered the market on H&N restraint system.

Good, bad or indifferent...I guess we will have to see.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 02:05:53 pm »
I believe it's discontinued, not changed.

They don't own Necksgen...$599 complete set up, fully adjustable, in adult and junior sizes.
Shipped free from VMS Motorsports
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline dcpainting

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 06:07:37 pm »
When my son started racing we made hollow like blocks out of diamond plate to prop feet on and reach pedale mine were in middle of bar on frame so had to cut notch to fit  they were shaped like upside down u but flat on top left tabs out each side and pop riveted to floor pan.

Offline dbradley

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 07:40:25 pm »
When my son started racing we made hollow like blocks out of diamond plate to prop feet on and reach pedale mine were in middle of bar on frame so had to cut notch to fit  they were shaped like upside down u but flat on top left tabs out each side and pop riveted to floor pan.

Great idea.  600 racing tells me that they now have a foot riser kit as well as a steering column extension. VMS have you seen these ort had any experience with them...the diamond plate is a great idea. . DCpainting, did you use the long  pedals or build the box to the short ones?

thanks
Darin

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 08:46:27 pm »
I have no working knowledge of Bando's, unfortunately they don't race them anywhere around here
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline dcpainting

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 03:28:34 pm »
we tried long throw pedals and then ended up making our own you can get the medal from any metal shop or tractor supply and weld together and then get them where your driver wants them

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 07:22:00 pm »
I use our local steel recycling center to but most of my steel and aluminum. Only pay the going rate for what they pay per pound.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline dbradley

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 09:47:41 am »
This whole pedal manufacturing/mounting  problem has me a bit anxious...If someone could take a peak at  http://shop.nkrpedals.com/main.sc.
If I mount it elevated from the floor and put a set of pedals on it, He will be using what he is used too.  It is not difficult to change the mounting point of the brake  master cylinder and this comes with the throttle assembly. Tell me what you think?
Darin

Offline rob

• J & R Motorsports
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 11:05:09 am »
if you plan on running for or with inex for points you need to be guided by the rule book.

23. PEDALS: Competitors may change the location and length of gas & brake pedals within the cockpit as long as they remain mounted from the top bar as delivered from U.S. Legend Cars International. Pedals may not be cut down or lightened in any way. Adding to the original pedals is permitted. Removing material from the original pedals is not permitted.

Offline dbradley

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2012, 09:25:40 am »
Thanks Rob.. I didn't know that...will modify a jacked up less safe version...

Offline CNC Motorsports

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 09:05:43 am »
Darin, if you haven't already, I would go on website and print off rule book. There is quite a bit to take in.. Both my son and I are getting very excited to race this car! I really hope it takes off around here!

Chad