Author Topic: Holes in fenders...  (Read 10853 times)

Offline slack11

Holes in fenders...
« on: October 02, 2012, 09:38:32 pm »
Reading the rules, they say that the holes can't be any larger than 4" circles, but it also states that a 4" hole saw creates a hole bigger than 4" , hence illegal.....  What does everyone use for this.... Saw that you can buy a 3 7/8" hole saw...  Is that what is used to get as close to 4" without being too large?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Holes in fenders...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 09:58:23 pm »
Measure the outside of the holesaw and I am sure the 3 7/8 saw is pretty darn close.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 10:42:02 pm »
Look at pictures from the big money race and Nationals, they obviously don't check that too closely, but I personally would go with smaller holes.
I ran 4" holes in the front, and the vibration (from the rough track-dirt) causes the fenders to crack easily. You're probably not going to put 10 4" holes in each fender, but 10 3" ones while maintaining fender strength on these ever thinning fenders may be a good idea.
Just my hillbilly dirt boy opinion
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline slack11

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:09:24 am »
I could see where on dirt that would vibrate these this to pieces if you holed them up too much....  You're right, looking at pics from the lager races, there isn't't a lot left to these fenders behind the wheels on the asphalt guys. Gotta believe they would hold up much better on asphalt than dirt ( until someone takes it off for you.....) looks like I'm gonna give the 3 7/8" a go.....

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 07:40:00 am »
I use a 3.5 hole-saw. I have gone to the max but as Jim stated it will crack your fender. The do not check this rule at anywhere I have been though. They will one day when they have an excess of fender though. Anyone remember Dodge City?...... ???
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

knoxracing

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 08:15:31 am »
The 4" hole is the largest hole. 10 holes max. These guys are going by total cubic inch of a 4" hole, they have longated a smaller hole. You see alot of guys with these types of holes.

Offline Briz81

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 11:15:10 am »
Was at Southern National this weekend and saw these unique fender cuts on the car parked next to us. The kid in this car won by half a straight against some of the best in NC/VA, so maybe they helped.  ;)

Offline Richie25x

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 12:51:18 pm »

Offline Briz81

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 02:12:15 pm »
Is it a matter of aesthetics or does this style of hole have some kind of benefit?

knoxracing

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 02:26:17 pm »
If you read the book you can come up from the frame rail 16" and cut a 3" path to the firewall. Thats in addition to the 10 holes.

knoxracing

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 02:28:18 pm »
Briz81, its hard to see the picture, I think the 3" cutaway is what they have done.

Offline Briz81

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 02:54:25 pm »
Yup, in person there were seven, 2-3 inch tall by 6-8 inch wide cuts from just above the large botom holes by the muffler, to the top arc of the fender.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 09:32:56 pm »
Is it a matter of aesthetics or does this style of hole have some kind of benefit?

The holes, no matter what size or shape, get air into the brakes and engine compartment.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 10:43:50 am »
The way the rule is it's a 4" hole so that means you could cut any shape hole you want as long as the area is equal to or less than a 4" hole. I run 10 holes in both of my fenders and when I went to a race last year it was the first time the official saw this. He came over and asked if he could check my fenders, so he did and after he figure out the area it was less than a 4" hole. He wanted to check because he never saw that before and when you cut a different shape than a "circle" it looks like there is more area removed but really isnt. If you want to use 4" circles then cut them with a 3 7/8" saw which will give you a 4" hole.

Air to the engine and brakes help, that is the main concern but as far as holes go, cut how many and whatever shape you want. Do what you like not what people say is the best, i cut out mine the way i do because I like the way it looks but performance wise its no different than a circle.
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com