Author Topic: Storage auction legend buy! Help  (Read 8807 times)

Offline gb2motorsports

Storage auction legend buy! Help
« on: September 13, 2012, 03:42:11 am »
Bought a legends car at a closed storage auction. $300!! Crazy steal!
Very funny though because I already have racecars and now another.
My questions are this in order of importance-

What are my options on getting a vin plate and title for this, vin plate is not on it and obviously no title. I read somewhere on this site that it would cost me $1000??

Are all the shocks valved the same?

Does every part come from 600? (who has springs mostly)

Red box vs black box ignition? What's the difference? (Engine is a 1200)

Thanks
Greg

Offline HAMMERIN101

Re: Storage auction legend buy! Help
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 07:12:10 am »
title and vin are almost impossible to get.unless you can find somebody selling one  off a wreck car...i have seen them pop up on racing junk  and ebay....alll our shocks are are valved the same and must remain that way to be legal.......there are several dealers that sell parts not just 600 racing.....several on this site as well    your choice of springs will be determined if you are going to run dirt or pavement...........all the info you are looking for is on this website...you can do a search.....lots of great people here that are very helpful.........welcome to the legends series.........Doug #101
Doug Hawkins #101

knoxracing

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 07:49:02 am »
There are are alot of issuses involved here. Since the car has no history its a aproblem. Finding the history may help you obtain the papers and vin. By posting pics of the car someone may be able to point you in the right direction. Then comes the codition of the car, what year the chassis was produced, how long it sat and how many updates to make it current or legal according to out sanctioning body (Inex). Feelfree to call me, I am a dealer and will try to help. Lastly, the vin and title can be obtained through the proper channels after certain conditions are met.
Dennis Knox
330-310-9212
Buckeye Legends

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:00:40 pm »
Call Lisa at USLC. Explain the situation and she will tell you what you need to do, costs involved, etc...
Not that difficult of a process from what I've heard.

Don't know which shocks are on the car; Or, as Dennis pointed out; What updates are going to be necessary to get it into legal specs. If they are Carerra shocks, doesn't matter the valving (You can't use them). If Bilstiens, look at the numbers on the shock body and that should tell you the valving, stroke, etc...

No; Not EVERY part has to come from USLC (Not called 600 Racing anymore. It is hard sometimes to remember that. LOL!)

Springs... Jim has some good used ones as well as a few other members. What springs will you need? New ones are available as well through many of our members.

Red box vs black boxes.... Have been many threads and oppinions. Do a search on the site and you will likely find the info you are looking for on ignition boxes. The search for red box vs black box should yeild what you are looking for.

Hope that helps

Steve

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline HAMMERIN101

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:49:00 pm »
keep us informed on what you find out about the title..........i went thru this only a few months ago. when i was looking for a car...and was told by Lisa Will not to buy a car without a vin  because i wouldnt be able to get a vin or title...........hope it works out for you...... for as little as you have in the car you could by a new chassis with a vin and still be ahead of the game
Doug Hawkins #101

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 10:05:32 pm »
OR, you could just buy a vin plate and title.
 ;)

Steve

Offline gb2motorsports

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 10:46:37 pm »
Unfortunately I can not ever get Lisa on the phone or a call back. I have called everyday for about a week. Is this normal?
The car has bilstein shocks
I am used to late model stock cars.
Different valving shocks is or is not available for these cars?
 Do these cars coil bind, is it legal,  if so, who has the best springs? 
Sorry for all the basic questions, I just have no idea about these cars and where or what parts to use

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 11:20:25 pm »
Greg,

Your questions are normal. Don't appologize for needing info. That's why the site is here.
I have never had to contact Lisa. Just know that people have had good things to say about her.
Sorry that she is not returning your calls. Have you tried email? Might be on vacation or out sick. ???

Can the cars bind the springs? Yes... If they are not set up properly. "Is it legal"? Why would you want to?
I am using the old Carrera shocks because I am running a venue other than USLC. Not sure as to valving options on the Bilsteins. Sure they are available.
I have some Carerra, Hypercoil and AFCO springs. I think that as long as you are in the ball park with spring rates you will be ok.

There are some parts that are only available through USLC or their dealers. We have several of those dealers as members here on the site.
There are a lot of parts that are universal and can be bought from dealers other than USLC. We have dealers here on the site forthose part too. You'll have to shop around a little, or advertise your needs.

Are your spindles the current aluminum ones or steel? Check the USLC site and download the current rulebook to make sure the car is current on updates.

Steve

Offline gb2motorsports

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 11:40:59 pm »
It is a preferred thing I am used to in racing. Coil binding is essential in most upper division asphalt classes. Costly.
Why is it not essential to legends car. Should I be looking for something else from the car, a different feel?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 11:49:56 pm »
It is a preferred thing I am used to in racing. Coil binding is essential in most upper division asphalt classes. Costly.
Why is it not essential to legends car. Should I be looking for something else from the car, a different feel?

Yes. Very lightweght cars. Power to weight ratios are a lot different from the larger cars. Sent you a couple messages. Read them and send me any questions you may have.

Steve

Offline HAMMERIN101

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 12:22:07 pm »
Unfortunately I can not ever get Lisa on the phone or a call back. I have called everyday for about a week. Is this normal?
The car has bilstein shocks
I am used to late model stock cars.
Different valving shocks is or is not available for these cars?Ll
 Do these cars coil bind, is itle gal ,  if so, who has the best springs? 
Sorry for all the basic questions, I just have no idea about these cars and where or what parts to use
Lisa is easier to reach early or late   i have spoken to her at least a dozen times in the last couple of months about titles and vin  she is very nice and helpful
Doug Hawkins #101

Offline gb2motorsports

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 05:44:05 pm »
Finally got a hold of Lisa today. She told me to get in touch with someone else  and they will take care of it. Not sure of cost, but she said there would be some fees, but all I do is bring my chassis in with the body off and they would take care of it from there. As far as trying to find a used title and vin, people are out of their mind. For the price people are asking for titles and vins on destroyed chassis or off chassis, you would be better off buying a new chassis with a vin for a few hundred dollars more. So the used search is not going well. I had posted the car for sale on here and racing junk and have gotten tons of bites, don't really want to sell, just putting out feelers.