Author Topic: Oil pan shimm size  (Read 9077 times)

Offline bracey

Oil pan shimm size
« on: September 12, 2012, 03:01:27 am »
Hi, I need to shim my low pressure valve in the sump to up the flow rate of the oil, what size should the shim be. I have found many post about shimming it but no mention of the size ? :-\

Regards Nick

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
Re: Oil pan shimm size
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:15:17 am »
Nick,

Can you explain how installing a shim in oil pressure relief valve will increase oil flow?

Unlike a car oil pump that has a built in pressure regulator that can be shimmed or stiffer spring will raise the oil pressure, the Yamaha oil system only uses high pressure relief valves.

This system is a safety valve in case of high pressure, not a way to control oil pressure.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

knoxracing

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 07:57:06 am »
Are you referring to boosting the pressure for the use of a 3 port oiling system? This has been discussed multiple times. We do not do any shimming to our motors and have not had any oiling problems.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 02:32:29 pm »
Are you referring to boosting the pressure for the use of a 3 port oiling system?

How do you "boost the pressure"?

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:06:36 pm »
Shimming the oil pressure spring is an old racers trick. As Randy pointed out, the Yamaha engines use a  high pressure relief valve. You would likely end up bypassing your oil coolers or oil filter by raising the pressure.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline canabl

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 06:57:42 pm »
I had the same question after being told to shim the sump oil pressure system, then i was told by another that they tap the valve and put a bolt into it, I'm guessing that it is to max the valve out for flow, Im only looking to run a single cooler and my old motor had a y adapter joining the back and sump feed lines into one then onto the cooler. Just cant afford the cost to ship out the Hank setup to Australia.

anything