Author Topic: Unsealed "tweaking"  (Read 51662 times)

Offline T48

• Sugar Babies Outfitters
Unsealed "tweaking"
« on: April 29, 2007, 05:23:33 pm »
I'm not certain I'm going to be able to ask this in a way it's easily understood, but here goes. 

I know that Legends have sealed and unsealed engines.  I know that in the unsealed engine (like we have) you can "tweak" it here and there for top performance.  I also know that the Legends class was born to make a level field for the average person to be able to race against others and do well.  Ok, here's my question.  If all Legends cars are "created equal" is it the car with the unsealed engine that has been "tweaked" that you see winning a race time and again by a wide margin, or a driver that knows "something" that absolutely no one else on the track knows?

I hope my question is understood, because as a new Legends owner I would really like a serious answer.  When I see every car in the race running closely and moving on skill toward the front, and then I see one car consistantly so far out in front it doesn't even look a part of the race, I have to ask.   How is this mechanically possible if its the car, or where do you go to learn to do that if its the driver?

-----Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Unsealed "tweaking"
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 12:50:40 am »
 Talent is always hard to beat. Don't get me wrong -  Some people don't play fair. We had one guy actually torch his car so that he wouldn't get torn down and tech'd. Extreme! Do ya think???
 Talent aside, do what you can ,within the rules, to build the best engine you can afford. Work your A** off on handeling and driver style. Check out the compeitors cars. (most will be flattered) Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are no stupid questions. Read all you can. Might sound simple, but it's hard work.
 Do you refer to "tweaking" as cheating, or doing your homework? Racing ain't cheap, and usually just won't fall in your lap. I'm not trying to be rude; Just stating the facts. Playing by the rules, helping your fellow competitors, and just plain enjoying the sport is what makes racing fun. I've met more people I would call friends than made enemies.
 Again; Just my 2 cents worth. Take what you can use and forget the rest.
 Best of luck to all this season
 Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline T48

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 09:02:24 am »
Hi Steve, I'm referring to "tweaking" as doing homework I just don't know how to do yet. *L*  Using Inex rules, there's not a whole lot of ways to cheat with a Legends Car and I'm glad of i ;)t.
-----Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely and in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 08:12:44 pm »
T48,
 I'm building a Dwarf Car. We're not quite as limited as you are. I guess besides what I already suggested , Keep an eye on your spark plugs. Get that jetting and timing down as best you can.
 Good Luck
 Steve

Offline T48

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 09:27:19 am »
Steve,

The spark plugs and timing I can do.  Jetting I can do as soon as you tell me what that is.  :D

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 12:39:42 pm »

Offline T48

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 09:44:12 am »
Hmmm, interesting reading, do you ever do this with the 96, Tom?  I mean the part about towing it back to the pit and checking the plug.

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 12:23:33 pm »
No, but it would be better.  This is why you hear the NASCAR boys shut of their engine right after they cross the finish line on their qualifying run and then coast into the pits.  Jack Roush is often seen looking at plugs through a magnifying lens.

Offline riptide60

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 05:12:01 pm »
You can install better plugs not a true plug check w these motors. And the timing an jet kit. If u have a 1200 give hank Scott a call hes the man on both sides of the engine fence but they've worked hard to get the 1200 back up to snuff after the compression bull...

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 11:18:01 pm »
This is a 7 year old thread...
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline s10custom

• It is what it is
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 09:38:13 am »
Though something was wrong with my computer.  ???

Robert

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 05:52:27 pm »
Maybe that's it.
Back when this thread was started, it was a new guy. Basically wanted to know what was allowed.

Steve