Author Topic: Title question?? Switching from sedan to coupe  (Read 5887 times)

Offline slack11

Title question?? Switching from sedan to coupe
« on: August 21, 2012, 09:18:41 pm »
Debating on switching to a coupe, can I use the tag off a sedan chassis on a coupe?  Can I buy a coupe chassis without a tag and we the sedan one I have?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Title question?? Switching from sedan to coupe
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 09:31:02 pm »
Dennis?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline HAMMERIN101

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 10:22:40 pm »
From what i was told when i was looking for a used car.......600 doesnt want you changing any plates     but  a vin plate from a coupe must stay with a coupe and vin from a sedan must stay with a sedan...when it was built it was registered as what it is....and is on record at 600.........i talked to lisa will and gave her several serial numbers to check and she told me what kind of cars they were  and who had owned them.......so i would say no.......keep the vin plate with the sedan and find a coupe  chassis that has a vin plate  just my  2 cents...Doug
Doug Hawkins #101

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:29:20 pm »
Talk to lisa and tell her your sedan chassis is wrecked and want to switch to a coupe and she'll retitle it as a coupe i'd think

knoxracing

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 09:12:44 am »
The deal is if you purchase a new chassis it will come with the vin welded on. You would turn in your old vin and title along with a section of your chassis. You will be issues a new title. You can purchase  a vin and title with a new chassis, I believe it will cost you a $1000.00. These are you USLC options, as far as changing types, there is no problem.

Offline slack11

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 07:56:13 pm »
But is there a way to switch the plate off my sedan and use it for a coupe nontitled frame?   Doesn't seem right that I would have to cut up a perfectly good frame to get it switched through uslc.  Was thinking of getting a coupe frame, use the tag from the sedan for it, and sell the sedan chassis without a title.  Someone else can use it for a spare to their frame.   Is this possible?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 08:46:23 pm »
Yes; It is possible. Some people trade chassis and VIN tags on a regular basis. IF you want it to be legal...
Do it the right way. Most tracks don't check that close. Your call.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline HAMMERIN101

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 09:06:16 pm »
like Steve said you can do it but it is illegal  according to 600.....i was looking at a coupe with a sedan vin and was told that i could not get a title so i didnt by it.....i bought a sedan with a legal vin. personally i like to do things the right way
Doug Hawkins #101

knoxracing

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 08:21:10 am »
No not legally. It can be done like you all were discussing. To me the problem is as some point someone gets stuck holding the bag, and the value is less because there is risk.

anything