LEGENDS > Drivetrain & Gearing

pinion seal

(1/3) > >>

racerdad:
need some help again i replaced my pinion seal and it added to the resistance of the pinion. i know the new seal will do that but i do not know how much. i checked it with the inch pound  wrench and it was 17 in pounds and when i put it back together the way it was it was 30in pounds then i turned it and checked it and turned it and checked it. it got better and better now it is at 23 in pounds.
one thing i know i did wrong was i put some gear lude on the yoke not the pinion seal so when i put the yoke back on the seal may have pushed the lube off.
so what i need to know is will the seal add 6 in pounds
thanks cody

racerrad8:

--- Quote from: racerdad on August 06, 2012, 08:05:14 pm ---need some help again i replaced my pinion seal and it added to the resistance of the pinion. i know the new seal will do that but i do not know how much. i checked it with the inch pound  wrench and it was 17 in pounds and when i put it back together the way it was it was 30in pounds then i turned it and checked it and turned it and checked it. it got better and better now it is at 23 in pounds.
one thing i know i did wrong was i put some gear lude on the yoke not the pinion seal so when i put the yoke back on the seal may have pushed the lube off.
so what i need to know is will the seal add 6 in pounds
thanks cody

--- End quote ---

No, when you re-torqued the pinion nut you added more tension the the crush sleeve which added more pressure to the pinion bearings. You will probably need to...

1) shim the crush sleeve and then reset the torque and bearing preload
2) Install a new crush sleeve and start fresh.

That is the hard part about replacing the seal of a crush sleeve pinion.

Randy - RPM

racerdad:
well that sucks but that was what i was thinking.
so i am going to have the rear end rebuilt any one have any tricks i should know about
thanks cody

Vern Houseman:
Where an you get a crush sleeve from or what is he part number ? And what do you retire at ?

cmg motorsports:
My opinion is, if you dont know how to assemble a gear correctly , dont attempt it.You can do more damage than good. Let a professional do it.
We have built hundreds of these things. Send it to us and we can rebuild it for you.
CMG Motorsports.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version