Author Topic: oil pressure fluxuation  (Read 10558 times)

Offline north pole racer

oil pressure fluxuation
« on: August 05, 2012, 07:17:41 pm »
i`ve noticed that my oil pressure is decent when cold but when hot it doesnt read at idle,and is all over the place when on the track,seems that others at my track are the same. does someone with more experience with these things have a good explanation?

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
Re: oil pressure fluxuation
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 08:23:04 pm »
With an oil pressure gauge when you go into the corners the pressure will drop thats why the light will be triggered in the corners.

Dan

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 09:09:31 pm »
The light is oil level, not oil pressure.
You need to speed up if you are watching your oil pressure while on the track  ;)
The hotter the engine, the less oil pressure
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline north pole racer

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 09:14:36 pm »
i wouldnt really say im watching it, but i bought the car in parts and put together. so ive been watching stuff while shake it down,ect. first time i noticed it i thought maybe it was low on oil and added some. that obviously wasnt the problem. just thought maybe someone could give me a decent explanation as to why they are like that. the light thing is stupid and i will be disconnecting it.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 09:50:35 pm »
Decent explanation: Hotter oil is thinner, thus less oil pressure
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline albertjames

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 06:52:29 pm »
it,s natural for the oil pressure to be higher while your on the road then it would be sitting and idling.
Sanford and Son Junk Cars - Junk Cars Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia

Offline Gimpster

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 12:56:17 am »
Before you go start ripping the engine apart, try a known good oil pressure gauge first. Second, the oil pressure is regulated by the relief valve spring within the oil pump. After these engines are ran hot mega times in a chassis that is heavier than this engine is designed, the spring that regulates the oil relief passage can become weak from the heat cycling. A quick cure is to remove the oil pump and shim the spring so it opens later and relieves oil at a higher pressure. Shimming is easy once the oil pump is accessed. You will see a cotter pin, press inside the hole to depress the spring and remove the cotter pin. Ease pressure off the spring and remove. Replace the spring if needed and stack a washer on top of the spring (next to the cotter pin end)  depress the spring and spacer and replace the cotter pin. This will cure most fluctuation issues of the oil pressure variety unless the engine bearings are worn out, excessive piston clearance etc..
I hope this makes things a little clearer

~Gimpster~

Offline albertjames

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 06:34:07 pm »
Your oil pressure SHOULD go up when you hit the throttle. The more RPMs the engine turns,the more the oil pump turns. When the engine is cold, you will have more oil pressure then when its warmed up,too. At 40psi...that sounds right.
Sanford and Son Junk Cars - Junk Cars Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia