Author Topic: Just spinning my wheels...  (Read 15708 times)

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
    • Far Beyond Driven Racing
Re: Just spinning my wheels...
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 08:43:40 pm »
Yeah, Ive been hearing the pretend theres an egg under the throttle...dont mash it! I know a big part is my driving style, I was a bottom feeder last year, Im going to have to try the outside line to stay on the throttle more. Who knows, I just know I have 4 more months of off season to do nothing... :'(

Higher gears will allow you to put the power down all you want at lower speeds *coming and out of corners* with out putting down the full hp and torque thus spinning the tires.  The full grunt of the engine will only come into play once the rpm's pick up when your in the straits.   
It sound to me like you have the perfect setup on your car, getting all you need to the ground.  If your track were paved, you would be kicking some major butt! 
So, change your gears, and put hammer down all you want :)
With Legends, Its not your tires that are screaming, its the Pavement.

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 09:20:55 pm »
in 5th gear, 3000 rpm.

4.10  70 mph
3.73  77 mph
3.56  80 mph
3.42 83 mph

Ya' get the idea :)

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 03:23:19 pm »
Tried 5th my first race. Got lapped in an 8 lap heat race. everyone runs 4th gear to the floor
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline elimn8u_43

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 06:14:12 pm »
well mr. Einstien, we run the 3.73 in 4th at 10,000 rpm...whats that tell ya? ;D

I think what Pegalis is trying to tell you is that if you put in a 3.58 rear gear it will allow you to hook up better and give you more speed on the top end. This difference between a 3.58 and a 3.73  is hardly noticable except for coming off the corners. The other fast guys at my track (paved) run a 3.90 gear I run a 3.70. I beat them off the corner because I am full in the gas at the center of the corner. They need to be a little less aggressive with the go pedal. Also they will run out of steam half way down the straight which allows me to pull away. I would advise trying the 3.58 gears.

Geoff

Offline pegalis

• =o.O=
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 11:55:39 pm »
For the life of me, I cant find the gear ratio's of our transmission.  So I used the gears of a Pantera ZF Transaxle to show what a different set of ring and pinion can do to the characteristics of the car.

If you can get me the tranny gear ratios, i can calculate the exact speed you will be going at what rpm.   Off topic, i know.

Anywho...   Thanks, Geoff.  Your way of putting it reads a hell'of a lot better than mine :D

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 09:25:17 am »
Well, Geoff, I was hoping it wouldnt come down to this, I really dont feel like spending any more money this off season. Most of the guys I run with run a 3.42 or 3.58, I was hoping there was something my simple mind couldnt think of. Oh well, more duct tape on the kids shoes...they should last another year or so  ;D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 03:08:50 pm »
Pegalis,
try this link for the gear ratios...