Author Topic: Chain Question  (Read 17106 times)

Offline The Tank

Chain Question
« on: July 15, 2012, 03:10:35 am »
Ive done some reading and realize the bando cars use #35 chain on them from the clutch to the rear axle. Do any of you ever have problems popping the chains? I know when I was kart racing I used EK brand chain. What is the preferred brand that you all use? I ask because on my new car, its not a bando but kind of similar, I plan to use #35 chain as the primary chain from the clutch to a gearbox. I just want to use the best chain possible without snapping it. Thanks.

Offline The Tank

Re: Chain Question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:00:27 pm »
I guess all the bando drivers are MIA. I think Ill go with what I know.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 10:24:09 pm »
Looks like the stock chain sold by USLC is Xtreme.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline The Tank

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 08:01:45 am »
Looks like the stock chain sold by USLC is Xtreme.

Steve

Thanks Steve, do you know if they are mandated to use this chain for replacement?

Offline mch46

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 11:01:01 pm »
You can run any #35 chain.  EK gold space chain is still the best.  Also, Horstman gears are far superior to the ones 600 sells.  Best lube is Chain Wax, sold at motorcycle shops.  Its better than oils, Triflow and all the rest. 
Mike Hudson

Offline The Tank

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:12:58 am »
You can run any #35 chain.  EK gold space chain is still the best.  Also, Horstman gears are far superior to the ones 600 sells.  Best lube is Chain Wax, sold at motorcycle shops.  Its better than oils, Triflow and all the rest. 
Mike Hudson
Thanks Mike, I thought the EK chain was the best when I used it. Wasnt sure if there was anything better than the EK chain out there now. What is a good brand chain wax?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 12:28:34 am »
As Mike apparently pointed out; No... The chain is not madated by rules. The Xtreme chain is what USLC sells.
EK has a very good chain. Have one on my kart as well.
Thanks for the response Mike!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline sfreitas20

• Freitas Racing
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 11:44:41 am »
Not sure if you ran master links in Karts, but we did in Quarter Midgets before we moved to the Bandos found out pretty quickly they don't work with the Bandos.  The engine makes too much power so they just tear the master links apart.  We threw chains a couple times before we realized it and took the master links out.  We haven't had an issue since. 

We run in Florida where there is sand everywhere so keeping it from sticking to the chain lube is important to us.  We started using Fluid Film for our chain lube back in the Quarter Midgets because it was great at keeping the sand from the chain and we still use it now on the Bandos without any problems.
Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports

Offline The Tank

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 12:05:39 pm »
Not sure if you ran master links in Karts, but we did in Quarter Midgets before we moved to the Bandos found out pretty quickly they don't work with the Bandos.  The engine makes too much power so they just tear the master links apart.  We threw chains a couple times before we realized it and took the master links out.  We haven't had an issue since. 

We run in Florida where there is sand everywhere so keeping it from sticking to the chain lube is important to us.  We started using Fluid Film for our chain lube back in the Quarter Midgets because it was great at keeping the sand from the chain and we still use it now on the Bandos without any problems.

Thanks for the info on the master link. Now that's ironic about the fluid film, I tried several penetrating oils on the chain before I finally stuck with fluid film. Never tried any wax though but I've heard lots of good things about it.

Offline sfreitas20

• Freitas Racing
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 01:13:49 pm »
Fluid Film is the only lubrication we use anywhere on our Bandos and Minicup cars.  All the bearings, Heims and chains get FF only.
Scott Freitas
Patriot Motorsports

Offline mch46

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 10:45:52 pm »
I can't remember the name of the chain wax, (back in the day when my kid was running the Bando, I duck taped the can so nobody could see it, and now I've forgotten the name )  but any of it should be fine;  I've  never tried the FF, so maybe someone could do a comparison and let us know.  Mike

Offline bando56

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 08:20:01 am »
 I just started using the Panther ASA #35 chain on our Bando. We had problems with chain longevity and found this one to be superior for the heavy Bando's.  Here's a link where I get my chains from.   I'm going to look into fluid film lube also.

http://performancekartsport.com/