Author Topic: Different Carb setups for different weather or conditions?  (Read 12553 times)

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
Different Carb setups for different weather or conditions?
« on: July 13, 2012, 01:07:27 pm »
I race in the Midwest (Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana) and I have seen several times where guys will run a practice and then switch carbs?  I am looking at getting a redline kit for my carbs but wanted to know if a lot of people have multiple sets of carbs for different weather conditions?  And if you do what are the differences?
I was thinking of at least a Hot weather set and a Cold weather set but I have no idea what the differences would be?

Just seeing what’s important before I get a redline kit installed (not sure if most people just run the redline kit no matter the weather).

Gerad Miller
34' Ford Coupe Smoke (Color not the driver)
Running in the Tri-State Legends Series
BigmilMotorsports.com
contact@bigmilmotorsports.com

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Different Carb setups for different weather or conditions?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 03:04:51 pm »
The kit comes with multiple jets, so you can adjust it to your application/needs
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 07:16:07 pm »
Dont do redline. they are really not that good on the dyno, and you have to buy the whole kit.

knoxracing

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 07:19:04 pm »
Alot of people like the redline for along time it and the dyno-jet kit were the only option. There is a better alternative now and it cost less and dyno's better.
Dennis Knox
Buckeye Legends
330-310-9212

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 07:57:51 pm »
I've never had any of my customers complain about the Redline kit...
There's lots of options out there, just make sure you do your research
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 08:59:03 pm »

Redline is a very respected line of carb kits and parts. I've seen many of the dyno results from their testing and many testimonials as to their performance and reliability. Would like to see you post the kits that you are selling,  dyno numbers, and testimonials from customers using this "cheaper" kit. Redlines prices are not out of line compared to other kits out there.

Not going to allow this thread to become an advertising war. Anyone who wants to sell parts (carb or otherwise) may post their advertising in the appropriate section(s).
Be mindful of the rules for posting.

Thank You,

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 09:09:20 pm »
Gerad,

Jetting will change as the weather changes. It is not always necessary to change jets. May just need to do slight carb adjusments (assuming you are in the ball park).
I know from watching your results that you are close to where you need to be.

Steve

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 09:17:17 pm »
I'm not trying to sell anything, just trying to help a fellow member.
There are alot of things people do with the carbs, some will run a richer mixture in the rear, where others like it all the same all the way across. Some change carbs for longer or shorter tracks. You can make it as expensive of a hobby as you want to.
Its not always a matter of hot and cold, humidity is more of a factor, at least in my opinion
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 10:55:31 pm »
Not wanting to get into who's jets are better. 
Just wondering if running at 60 degrees is a major jet change than running 95 degrees weather.

I was thinking of one set of carbs for each and then I could just switch when the weather changes (cause I am to lazy to rejet the carb each time :D).

Steve, if you were to watch my  driving videos  it is very obvious that increasing power may not actually help me any better as my skill level can hardly keep up with the car as it is ;D

Do the redline kits instructions tell you in what circumstances which jets/needles?

Maybe I will just upgrade my current carbs and stick with that
Gerad Miller
BigmilMotorsports.com

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 11:23:44 pm »
The Red Line kit doesn't tell you when to re-jet for specific things, but I can help you with that.
You know you can ask me anything anytime.
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 12:26:35 am »
Also a lot of good info on the Redline site.
Basically; Altitude and humidity will factor in to jetting choice.
With the exception of some of the big buck racers, most of the people I know try to jet for the average weather conditions and altitude where they race.
I don't change jetting or carb settings on my street bike (Yamaha 1100) and it runs just fine. In some weather conditions it gets lousy gas milage. Other than that, it runs just fine. Unless you want to spend the time and money on a portable weather station (can get most of the info on your lap top ) and jet and adjust carbs constantly; Just stick with your current jets. Set the carbs the best you can (read the spark plugs) and forget it. Focus on your driving and set up.

I do check your videos from time to time.  ;) I follow your facebook page weekly. I see your posts from the track as to where you start and finish in your races. I DO try to keep track of how our members are doing. I track at least 30 members as I am able too. I have faith that you will gain the experience with your car; and always wish you the best for every race.  Check your FB page and see how many "likes" I post on your page.  ;D

Steve

Offline Bigmil

• Started racing in 2009
    • Bigmil Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 10:15:45 am »
Thank you Steve, I see you liking and posting all the time on my fb page (one of the few that aren't related to me :-\).  I was just joking because I'm always looking to make the car better but I struggle to be consistent as a driver.  One of the guys that helps me out locally tells me that I need to stop looking at other tings and just learn to drive :o  I know but the Journey is more fun, and that's what I am in this for!

Looks like it's best to just jet it and forget it!  (Ron Popeil) :D

Thanks guys!
Gerad Miller
BigmilMotorsports.com

knoxracing

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 10:08:05 am »
Isnt this about helping racers find answers and  find information from others that have spent the money and pass that info on. I never suggested ANY specifis brand. I have tested ALL of the jet kits out there, most kits come with alot of stuff you will never use and you pay for these parts. Knox Racing competed at Lake Erie Speedway last night. 26 Legend Cars and we finished 1,3, 7 and 10. My 65 year old master was the tenth place car. All of these cars ran the same jet kit. Again I just trry to help others and give valuable help for free most of the time. If you were referring to me trying to sell specific brand names shame on you.

Offline racerrad8

• Raduechel Performance Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 10:41:28 am »
Gerard,

In my opinion carbs kits are like snake oil and the thing one must have because Racer X uses brand Y carb kit.

I too have tried the "big name" kits and have found none to give real world performance gains. Sure the dyno says it makes 20 more HP, but the lap times are no different.

Since I started back in 94 all of the victories of mine as well as hundreds of customers have been achieved using stock Mikuni parts & jets. Sure, tuning must be done for specific conditions, but all you need is a range of stock jets to do that.

I can throw out all kinds of references of the successes, but you have to look beyond the "wins" and ask solid questions of the kit manufacture. Try and see through all of the BS about better torque off the corner & top end that won't quit, and make an informed decision. Spend your money wisely. I can tell you it brings a smile to my face when a customer or I beat Racer X who spent all of that money for all of that "extra" HP.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM
randy@rpmracingca.com
2010 INEX/Intercomp Raceteam of the Year.
2009 INEX National and World Champion, Thunder Roadster.

knoxracing

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 11:53:55 am »
Jeff I agree thats is what this is about. guys like you and I that have spent the money and are willing to share theinfo so others can cut through expense and spend money wisely. I never mentioned what kit we use. The reason is I am not trying to sell,  just help.  As for Gerad I have watched your vids. Man you are sawing the wheel big time. I am here in Ohio and couldprobably help you straighten that car out.