Author Topic: Looking for information on Legends  (Read 8187 times)

Offline bhayberger82

Looking for information on Legends
« on: July 11, 2012, 05:15:47 pm »
Hello, my name is Bryan Hayberger. I am looking at racing legend cars. I've been racing karts for ten years and would like to make a move up.

As most of you may expect, I have a few questions. 

1. What does a Legend Car cost race ready? Engine, Tires, Everything needed to get on the race track.
2. I live in Pennsylvania, so I have the option of running dirt or asphalt. What would I need that would differ from dirt to asphalt? Tires, Shocks, Ect?
3. Is there any difference in the cars (Chevy, Ford, Dodge) or is it just the body styles?
4. Better to have a sealed engine or a built engine?
5. Any other information that anyone has to help me get started.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan Hayberger

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: Looking for information on Legends
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 05:29:36 pm »
1. It all depends. I've bought cars for $8000, and cars for $3000. Depending on your level of dealer support, you may not need to have spares, as good dealers are at the track servicing their customers.
2. Tires and springs
3. Just the body style
4. Personal preference. Depends on if you want to work on your own stuff or send it to NC.
5. Go to the track and talk to the guys in the pits. There are good guys in PA that will help you get started
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline bhayberger82

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:39:43 pm »
Thanks VMS. I'm actually looking for a price for a new car race ready. I know it would probably be better to get a used car to start but I'd obviously like new if I could afford it.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 05:43:35 pm »
New cars start at $13,000
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline bhayberger82

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 05:48:41 pm »
Thanks VMS.

Do you need a lot of different springs and tires to run up front?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 07:22:05 pm »
Not really, at least on dirt. 2 sets of tires will easily get you through a 30+ race season, and just the 4 springs. You may want to have some others to experiment with set-up after you get the hang of things.
Can't comment much on asphalt other than you will go through alot more tires
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 10:39:58 pm »
Bryan,

Take some time to read through some of the old threads. There is a wealth of info for you to check out. If you need help with the site, or a search, just let me know.
I pretty much have knowledge of every post on the site.

Welcome!
Hope you are enjoying the site!

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 11:13:15 pm »
on asphalt left side tires seem to last a good while, probably 2 sets of left for 20 races or so.  But rights go alot quicker, i've gone through a right rear in as little as 4 races, but the tracks up here do burn right side tires up quicker for some reason.

Dan

knoxracing

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 10:13:06 am »
I am a Legend Car Dealer, I drove these cars for 10 years and continue to race several cars out of my shop here in Ohio with many many wins. I know these cars inside and out, the ups and downs and ins and outs. Feel free to call me, I am in Ohio.
Dennis knox
Buckeye Legends
330-310-9212

Offline bhayberger82

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 03:29:11 pm »
Thank you to everyone that has replied. Its nice to know there are people willing to help. How much do tires cost and is it possible to have a few sets of tires, say maybe 3 or 4 for a race day, and then just buy new rubber and put them on the same wheels as I would have when those tires wear out? Obviously if the wheels are still in good shape. Hopefully I explained that correctly.

Thanks,
Bryan Hayberger

Offline Earnst85

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 06:10:22 pm »
Where in PA are you from?

If your close enough, there are plenty of guys in the Central PA Legends (in south central PA- dirt) organization & Keystone Legends (in Lancaster/ Lebanon- dirt) that would be more than willing to help you out with all your questions. The easiest way to get all your questions answered would be to come visit us at the track. We still have close to 20 events still on our schedule (www.centralpalegends.com).

As far as dirt tires go, I started this season with only six tires @ $110 each. After the 18th race of the year, I have put on a new RR and are still running the others.
Chad Earnst #85
Central PA Legends