Author Topic: Right rear trailing arm angle?  (Read 9982 times)

Offline Legends Racer

Right rear trailing arm angle?
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:04:23 pm »
Just wondering how do most people set the right rear trailing arm angle on asphalt. With driver in the car should it be pointed uphill toward the front, level, or pointed downhill toward the front? Thanks.

Offline IraceLegends77

Re: Right rear trailing arm angle?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 04:02:50 pm »
You set your ride height to what you want it don't worry about the angle of the rod. I think that is what your talking about but maybe your talking about pinion angle?
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline Legends Racer

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 06:36:26 pm »
Thanks for the info. I was just talking about the trailing arm not pinion angle. From what I know know about three point rear suspensions is the more angle on the right rear trailing arm pointing uphill to the front the more bite you will get. Downside is rear steer will result.  From what I'm learning about Legends cars is the only way to achieve this is to raise the rear ride heights and then the rear roll center my be too high.  I just didn't know how important the angles of the rear links on a Legends car are. Thanks again. 

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 07:13:40 pm »
The upper link in a 3 point system influences the chassis under braking and acceleration. The forward mounting height of the upper link can be adjusted for the amount of anti-squat. An uphill angle will promote pro-squat, which lifts the rear wheels up under acceleration and diminishes traction. If the upper link is mounted at a downhill angle (towards the front) it will promote anti-squat under acceleration. A compromise will be needed.

A major controlling factor of rear ride height is the angle of the lower trailing arms. At static ride height, these arms should be parallel to the ground. This helps to prevent rear roll steer. Changes may need to be made to accomodate track conditions. (ex: On dirt, a wet heavy track requires a higher chassis ride height than a dry slick track).

All this info straight out of the "Dwarf Car Technology" book by Steve Smith. I can go through some of my other chassis books and give you more complicated answers and a bunch of math. I hope that is what you were looking for.

Steve

Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

anything