Author Topic: driver comfort  (Read 18049 times)

Offline Legends16

driver comfort
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:13:57 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm a rookie to the legend car world. I'm having a blast racing my Ford Sedan at the NHMS road course and oval.

I'm 6ft 2in about 210 pounds. The car has a Kirkley seat with a 15 inch steering wheel. I want to say its got a 16 or 17 size seat. I am comfortable in the car except my left arm (underneith my left bicep) is hitting the side if the seat. Its hitting the part of the seat that wraps around my ribs. It enough to bruise my arm. I also don't have a whole lot of clearance between the door and my elbow either. The steering wheel shaft is as high as I can get it.

I've tried to bend the problem area of the seat but I don't think its enough. I've thought about moving the seat but I've only got about an inch before the right side of the seat gets into the driveshaft cover plate.

Is this a normal issue for us big guys? Anyone have an issue like this? Any suggestions on what to do?

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
Re: driver comfort
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 10:39:10 am »
I'm 6'1 and 245# and usually have bruises under both biceps after running on a rough track. If its confortable for you, stay with it. You may want to try shortening the steering shaft so that the wheel is further from your body if you are comfortable driving that way. That should bring your arms in closer to you, may help avoid hitting the seat
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline TG01

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 12:33:14 pm »
Funny thing about race cars is that ones seat/wheel placement has to be custom for each drivers preference. I had a wheel extension that was like 3" to make me feel comfortable and the seat was all the way up to the driveshaft tunnel. I just couldnt feel all warm and fuzzy otherwise in the car. But I am also a more picky guy than most others about driver comfort.
I am 6' 3" and about 200 pounds.

Offline Legends16

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 06:19:42 pm »
Thanks guys. Jim, thanks for the help with the ultimate earbuds. Highly recommended.  Anyway, ever consider wearing a flat knee or elbow pad under the bicep? I could wear it under my suit.

Offline robbie96race

• Robbie Johnston
    • Robbie Johnston Racing
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 10:29:42 pm »
My seat is as far towards the driveshaft cover as possible and I have no room to put my left arm between the seat and door. I have to shuffle the wheel through my hands when racing to be able to comfortably and easily drive the car. The wheel is as far forward as I can get it, almost hitting my knees. I have an 18" seat, is there anything I can do at all to help me drive normal? Or am I pretty much stuck like this?
3rd Place 2013 Sunny South Raceway Semi-Pro/Young Lions Championship
2nd Place 2014 Sunny South Raceway Semi-Pro/Young Lions Championship

Offline Legends16

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 01:39:36 pm »
Still having the issue. Woundering if anyone can add anything to this older post. I've had a thought of modifying the seat itself. My left bicep it still getting bruised._

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 02:39:26 pm »
Have you raised the steering wheel?
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline chris mckinney

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 04:21:19 pm »
I am 6'3" 200 lbs and I use an ultra shield containment seat, I had this problem and used a large ratchet strap to bring the sides of the seat in as tight as I could stand it. I have to turn my body sideways to get into the seat, and now my arms don't even feel the side of the seat.

Also I saw you guys posting about earbuds, I made custom form fitting earbuds with silicone (not silicone 2) and cornstarch, mix equal parts (use rubber gloves - its easier) it will feel a bit like playdoh, coat your ears a bit with the cornstarch and  insert your standard ear-piece , then pack the mix into your ear - wait about 5-10 minutes for it to harden. Just like the custom made ones but only about $2, there is a down side to these though, you wont hear when a car is next to you. But you will hear everything on your raceciever.

Offline HAMMERIN101

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 05:55:42 pm »
Have you raised the steering wheel?
in karting there are steering wheels with a flat side......you can turn the flat side down to give you more knee room
Doug Hawkins #101

Offline slack11

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 07:08:34 pm »
Not to change the subject, but I am looking at an ultra shield halo  full containment seat for my car for next year.  Do you like it or not?  I like the fact that they are light, but would like to hear some opinions before buying.

Thanks

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 07:40:26 pm »
With all seats, make sure it fits in the car!
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline slack11

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 08:03:51 pm »
Very true, been down that road before.....

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 08:45:30 pm »
Eric, i have seen some seats that have a higher and tighter rib gaurd then others, i have a lajoie and like it, if you want next time your at the track come by and check it out, i have fallen in love with the lajoies.

Dan

knoxracing

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 10:06:37 pm »
usually you can bow thr left in and the right out to make it right. You also can trim the left area down.

Offline Schmitt20

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 12:13:54 am »
I have a ultrashield halo and love it. I have a 37 chevy and got it to fit in the car.