Author Topic: vin..  (Read 12303 times)

Offline HAMMERIN101

vin..
« on: June 10, 2012, 12:21:39 am »
i found a sedan chassis roller (pretty complete for a decent price....the owner switched to a coupe and used his vin for that......can i buy a vin and or paper work?   does anybody have one?   thanks for any help

Doug Hawkins #101

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: vin..
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 12:43:57 am »
I have seen vin tags and titles for sale on eBay and racingjunk. Couple hundred usually. If you plan to use the chassis for something other than INEX events, you won't need to worry so much about that. If you are looking to buy a legal chassis, then you will want to buy a chassis that has the vin and title.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline HAMMERIN101

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:08:10 am »
I have seen vin tags and titles for sale on eBay and racingjunk. Couple hundred usually. If you plan to use the chassis for something other than INEX events, you won't need to worry so much about that. If you are looking to buy a legal chassis, then you will want to buy a chassis that has the vin and title.

Steve
  steve.... if i buy a vin plate and title would that make it legal?
Doug Hawkins #101

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 04:06:20 pm »
Well...
Here is the rule :

Serial number plates -All cars & frames running as Legends Cars must be produced by U.S. Legend Cars International. All cars must carry the serial number assigned to that frame. This plate shall not be tampered with in any way. For any reason, the car owner must also be able to produce the title for the car within 48 hours after a request by an INEX technical official or that car will be ineligible for any competition.

I have heard that some events request the title be available for inspection. I don't think a lot of tracks check that closely.

I sent you a pm with the New Jersey specific rules.

Steve

Offline thunder938

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 05:27:06 pm »
The truth is that IF you remove a ID number installed by the factory it is technically  a felony..This is not just street cars ANY factory ID tags on or off road.  The law is for thefts, but just rember that it is on the books in most states
Dave

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 06:00:23 pm »
Dave,
I am not so sure the laws would apply for a race car. Lots of pieced together cars with no titles.
Would be hard for the guy selling the chassis to explain why he has a title and vin for a sedan on his car if he were asked.

Steve

Offline thunder938

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 06:05:14 pm »
It does not,but IF it was installed by a Factory..and these cars are titled, then it is covered. Now I dont think anyone will get hammered on it...but it is there be advised.
Dave

Offline HAMMERIN101

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 09:41:24 pm »
The truth is that IF you remove a ID number installed by the factory it is technically  a felony..This is not just street cars ANY factory ID tags on or off road.  The law is for thefts, but just rember that it is on the books in most states
is that the same as removing the mattress tag that says do not remove under penalty of lol
Doug Hawkins #101

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 07:42:13 am »
There is no way for Inex to tell that a certain vin plate and title came with a certain chassis. You can take a vin plate and title from car to car as long as their the same. A '34 Ford Coupe is a "34 Ford Coupe, A '37 Chevy Sedan is a '37 Chevy Sedan. Our sedan and one coupe have the vin plate that rivets on, our newer coupe has the vin plate welded on. These are all the reasons they started welding them on new chassis's now.

Go buy yourself a used vin plate and title, call Lisa Will i believe and tell her you purchased a used car. You will have to ship them the paperwork. She will then send you a new title with all the numbers matching then you just rivet the plate on the chassis. It's as simple as that, they don't need to know that you bought everything seperate.

TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline HAMMERIN101

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 08:48:06 pm »
ok everybody help me find a vin and title for a 37 chevy sedan!!!!!  thanks
Doug Hawkins #101

anything