LEGENDS > Non-Sealed Engines

1200 engine compression

(1/3) > >>

Legend79:
Any know what the compression should be on 1200 motor? I have one in my car that I have run for about 3 seasons now, I ain't touched it apart from a new clutch and oil changes, on a compression test it reads 155 on each cylinder, is this a good reading or should it be higher? The tracks we run on are probably what you in the US would call bullrings I think, pretty flat turns, is a 1250 engine any better?

VMS Motorsports:
Have you adjusted the valves? Does it have slotted cam gears?
Compression isn't everything, but there are many ways to boost it back up

TG01:
In the US there is a legends rule on compression (open motors) of 165 at wide open throttle 10 revolutions. We try to set them with cam timing at 160 for a safety window of different gauges because if we are high it would be a Dq. These readings are done while the engine is hot.
I think that a good judge of engine (ring) condition is how even these readings are accross all 4 cyclinders as long as the readings are not crazy low. In stock form I THINK these will crank like 180psi.

Legend79:
My engine was tested at our nationals but the engine was cold n it was 155 across all 4 cylinders, I couldn't tell you anything about the internals sorry as I know diddly squat about bike engines, most guys here run the 1250 but my car had the 1200 in when I brought it, would the money be better spent rebuilding a 1200 or buying a 1250?

VMS Motorsports:
155 cold is fine. The rule is 165 maximum hot.
Unless you are having other issues, I wouldn't worry about it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version