Author Topic: A question on the bandos?  (Read 22547 times)

Offline The Tank

A question on the bandos?
« on: May 27, 2012, 04:11:47 pm »
Ive been doing lots of reading on this site about the bandolero cars. Please no one take offense by what I say here because I dont mean any harm. Why is the bandoleros the underdogs? Seems they get no fame or anything compared to the faster legend cars. Im all for getting kids into the sport as well as adults who want to race on a budget like myself. I myself just purchased a 1/2 scale latemodel much like the bando cars. I think the setup may differ but I like to study setups anyway. Are the adult bando class engines allowed any internal mods or is it a mandated sealed engine that everyone must run? What is the speed difference from the bandos to the legends on a same size track? I know this is a lot of questions but just curious. I know the small vtwins in the bando cars will probably never be as fast as the engines used in the legends but if the bandos were allowed some highly modified engines(i made an assumption based on my reading but best I understand the bandos are mandated to a factory engine now rated for only 30 hp) then you would be surprised at the speeds they would be capable of. A little background about myself, I love building a go fast v twin used on mowers. I love the speeds they are capable of but after being in a nasty crash back in 2010, I wanted to move to something with a roll cage. Once again please no one take my comments personal I just think the small v twins are not given enough credit.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: A question on the bandos?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 05:25:16 pm »
Not really sure why the Bandos get no respect. I think there pretty cool! One reason may be that it's hard to find any information about them. Do a search and you will find this site and Bandostuff.com have the bulk of the info on the net. Another thing may be that they are kind of a cross between a go kart and something similar to your 1/2 scale car. Go kart front suspension and coil spring rear end; Single rear disc brake, no front brakes. It's kind of an odd set up. All Bando cars use the same sealed engine, kid or adult. You can check out their rules on USLCI site. Speed... Not really sure, something like 70 mph with a Bando and up to about 120 - 125 with the Legends cars on road courses. Ted or a few of the others who have moved up could likely give better info as to the differences between the 2 cars. It would be cool to run some kind of modified class with the Bando cars and perhaps get the kids used to faster speeds before moving up. There would likely need to be some mods on the suspension and brakes for that to happen. The whole idea was to keep the costs down. I think go karts are more popular because there are classes for modified engines. Cost-wise, I would have to say that karts can get pretty expensive due to things like tire prep and engine mods.

Those are my thoughts anyway.  ???

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline The Tank

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 05:38:00 pm »
I agree as I started in karts. Lol Ill keep the comments about them to myself. Ive been an avid mower racer for about 4 years now and just starting to feel unsafe being open wheel and then the speeds we are reaching. On a banked 1/8 mile track we are doing around 70 mph with an outlaw type chassis. I think the front brakes would definitely be a must. Im sure I will have lots more questions about the bandos in the near future. I dont even know of any close to me. Thanks for the reply.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 05:49:53 pm »
I don't have any close to me either. Most of what I have learned is from members here on the site.
Read the rules, and you will see that they are pretty limited.
What is good, is that I am seeing more sharing of information here on the site. Like I said, try a search for Bando information... You will come up pretty empty.
I do have a few Bando set ups that people have given me and that I have tried to help them tweak. They don't want me to post them, but do allow me to share them.
Most of the stuff does eventually find it's way into threads here on the site.

Steve

Offline Billy13

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 09:22:11 pm »
From what I can gather at our track the bandos with a gear rule are running about 3/4-1 sec slower then our bandoleros.  From times I have about last year before the gear rule they where only 1/4-1/3 sec slower.  Now we run a small track so I am sure the legends are running slower then at the bigger tracks.  I think they are about 12.9-13.  I know my pro challenge truck laps are about 13.1-13.2 and my bando on a good night is 13.6-13.7
Go Kart racers
BAD K Racing

Offline The Tank

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 08:28:33 am »
From what I can gather at our track the bandos with a gear rule are running about 3/4-1 sec slower then our bandoleros.  From times I have about last year before the gear rule they where only 1/4-1/3 sec slower.  Now we run a small track so I am sure the legends are running slower then at the bigger tracks.  I think they are about 12.9-13.  I know my pro challenge truck laps are about 13.1-13.2 and my bando on a good night is 13.6-13.7

Hey that is still respectable speeds. I know it adds up lap after lap but still not bad at all with a 30 horse engine. How do you guys load these cars on a trailer? Are they a pain? Lol

Offline katiu

• Hough68Racing
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 11:11:29 am »
Hi, Tank -

We raced Bandos here in Minnesota on two tracks last year. It was our first year in racing EVER. At Elko Speedway, the bandos run on the smaller inside track (the outer is a 5/8, I believe). So speed comparisons there would not mean much. At Raceway Park, both cars run on the same track, and the bandos tended to run 1-1.5 seconds slower than the Legends (just a casual observation, since the bandos don't use transponders). On our tracks, the bando drivers are pretty much kept to 9-14 years old. Our field was about 10 cars when full. The youngest driver last year had a serious wreck in practice (not physically ready to handle the machine, IMHO), and once the kids get bigger/better there are two issues: If they are big kids, the weight keeps them slower, if they are smaller kids, they tend to run away from the field & no real competition.  Also, there was no *serious* aggression out there, which was fine with me.

Regarding the underdog status. Yah, it's annoying. I think a lot has to do with the fact that the drivers are too young for Nascar licenses, which means they can only run as an exhibition class, with no pit access. Not always a bad thing. Their practices and heats are done before most of the crowd arrives, and their feature is either before or right after the opening ceremonies. That said, I think we gained a lot of fans last year. The races are cool, and everyone is cheering for all of the kids. Keeping them restricted also keeps them safer, and keeps the cost down. I was a bit blind-sided when we handed over almost two grand in pit and membership fees for just one track for the 2012 season. Only paid entrance fees for the bandos, and the cars were pitted where the public had access & it was a very 'family' atmosphere.

OK, I'll shut up!
Have a great year, and good luck with your 1/2 scale.
Regards,
Kathy H.
www.facebook.com/Hough68Racing

Offline The Tank

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 11:19:30 am »
Thanks for the reply Kathy.  I really do appreciate the info.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 11:37:58 am »
Kathy and family have had to learn a lot of things very quickly. They did very well last year with the Bando. Ted won a number of races and Season Championship. Pretty darn good for their first venture into racing what-so-ever! This year, with the move to Legends, they are facing similar issues as to learning how to set up the car. It's a lot different from the Bando set up. More adjustments to suspension and handling. They are doing ok. If you couldn't tell, I am a big supporter of their efforts.  ;) ;D

Steve

Offline The Tank

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 12:03:47 pm »
Kathy and family have had to learn a lot of things very quickly. They did very well last year with the Bando. Ted won a number of races and Season Championship. Pretty darn good for their first venture into racing what-so-ever! This year, with the move to Legends, they are facing similar issues as to learning how to set up the car. It's a lot different from the Bando set up. More adjustments to suspension and handling. They are doing ok. If you couldn't tell, I am a big supporter of their efforts.  ;) ;D

Steve

Lol I can tell. Congrats to you guys.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 12:22:17 pm »
I love the mower avatar! Sweet looking ride!!!!
I'm with you though on the cage thing! Those things seem top heavy to me. Nothing to help protect you if they tip over.

Steve

Offline The Tank

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 12:43:11 pm »
I love the mower avatar! Sweet looking ride!!!!
I'm with you though on the cage thing! Those things seem top heavy to me. Nothing to help protect you if they tip over.

Steve

Thanks. That one is the safest class by far. It's not top heavy but worries me what can happen if someone spins in front of me. Been there done that so I'm changing over for sure.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 04:19:16 pm »
Frank,

Enjoyed chatting with you this afternoon. Your new series sounds very interesting.

All My Best,

Steve

Offline The Tank

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 08:15:36 am »
Frank,

Enjoyed chatting with you this afternoon. Your new series sounds very interesting.

All My Best,

Steve

Same here Steve and I appreciate all of the info you have given me.

Offline The Tank

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 10:10:00 am »
What size fuel cell does the bandos have in them and where are they located in the car?  I used the search feature and looked online but didn't really find any info on what size or how many gallons they hold.