Author Topic: Brad Penn oil?  (Read 5908 times)

Offline Zero Hero

Brad Penn oil?
« on: May 19, 2012, 01:29:58 am »
The guy I bought my car from only used and swore by Brad Penn full synthetic 20/50 motorcycle oil.  I think Brad Penn used to be the old Kendall oil company....anyone ever use this stuff, any opinions? 

My local race shop sells and recommends redline, but at $14.00/qt that is going to get expensive quick.

From reading on here it sounds like most folks use Amsoil.

Also the car has been sitting for about 6 months unused, is it better to just drain whats in there or should I fire the engine up first and let the oil get hot and then drain it?

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
Re: Brad Penn oil?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 01:45:59 am »
Synthetic oils do tend to be a little expensive.
Don't see why it would not be ok to fire up your engine. It's not so much a question of how long the oil has been sitting in the engine. It's a question of oil break down due to heat, junk in the oil, etc... You may want to spray a little fogging oil into the cylinders and turn it over a few before actually firing it up just to make sure there is some lubrication .

Jim was doing a study on the Amsoil as to how long he could use it between oil changes without serious breakdown, but ran into (literally) some set backs in his research. Sorry Jim!!!  :o
The synthetics do seem to help with heat build up and tend to require less oil changes (as far as my understaning).

I did use Kendall oil in the old stock car. Don't recall any oil related issues. The few problems were likely due to engine builder (me) errors.

Here is a link to way more than you likely want to know about oil:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 09:27:25 am »
Also, most of us have found that either a 10W-30 or 10W40 synthetic motorcycle wet-clutch oil is more than sufficient weight wise.  These motorcycle engines were really never made to use a 20W-50 weight oil as far as bearing clearances and so forth.  You can purchase either the Amsoil or Mobil 1 T (10W-30 or 10W-40) synthetic oils from most local Fleet Farm stores.  Amsoil is little more than $10 a quart and Mobil 1 T is approx. $9.15 per quart, either being a little easier on the wallet to achieve the same goal.  You can of course purchase Amsoil from you local dealer for a little cheaper or Jim at VMS Motorsports as he is an Amsoil dealer also. ;)
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 11:25:17 am »
that's what I use but don't pay that much for it. I want to say it is around 6 bucks a quart.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

anything