Author Topic: 20w50 why?  (Read 25872 times)

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
Re: 20w50 why?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 08:50:18 pm »
I'm tending to agree with RB on this.  I was also using Royal Purple 20/50.  I broke a crankshaft a couple weeks ago.  The engine looks good still, and I was lucky enough not to loose anything else when the crank went, but I noticed that after a week I was still dripping oil all over the place.  That is seriously thick oil.  I think I'll follow RB and switch to 10w40.  May even try 10w30 for fall and spring races.  Those are tight clearances and trying to drive that sludge through when the engine is cold can't be good on the engine.

Time will tell...!
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline thunder938

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 09:23:09 am »
I would make sure that you talk to you builders before exp. with a $6,000 motor.  I paper work from Ken Joyce Racing that says to put 20 / 50 in, I know 600 says 20 / 50, Hank Scott has told other drivers I race with to use 20/50, and my builder Reed racing Engines said 25 / 50 penzoil.  So, do what you will but I would talk to you builder and see what they have to say. 

My motor is from a guy that over 4 years and a track champ at LakeErie speedway, very fast, has had only a head stud come out in all that time and he ran thicker oils.  I broke a crank last year too, but it was the driver.  Stood on the brakes while the motor was at 10 grand and did not hit the clutch.  That was 1250, which in the past had problems with the cranks braking..

Dave

FunFunFun

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 05:46:32 pm »
Wow oil seems to be a hot topic ,anyone done any experiments on a dyno ? The old dyno doesent lie, and its much easyer to watch temps and presure when you don't have to concentrate on driving .Our dyno will kill anything not putting out at least 100 ft/lbs and its not that accurite on the low side. so if anyone has a bike dyno hook it up ,then give us the numbers. I know this is asking for alot ,when I was heavy into competition I would have never shared info like that. If not give me  some time and I'll get a bike dyno .  Im still getting used to bike motors and being a nice guy, I never was on the quarter but legends are somthing totaly different I actualy like the other teams . Anyone know where to get plans to build a bike dyno?

Thanks
Chris

Offline MegaMang

• Fits me like a glove. A very snug glove!
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 11:30:41 am »
Talking to engine builders is a good idea, however keep in mind that they will as often parrot what everyone else says to use.  No engine builder wants to experiment too far and risk having customers engines blow up.  So far the 10w40 seems to work fine and I know one racer running 10w30 without problems.  Time will tell I guess.  I'll finish the season off using 20w50, but next year I'm going a little lighter.  Probably follow Ricky Bobby and go with 10w40.

As for using a dyno...  That would be a great idea for testing the effects of different oils on the engine.  Let me know if you set something up Chris.

Mike
If it isn't fun, why are you doing it?

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 12:54:27 pm »
My engine builder, who builds about 10-15 engines around here, told me to switch from 20w-50 to 5w-30.  I was a little skeptical at first because all of the other race motors I have used I ran 20w-50.  Once I made the switch my oil temps went down about 30-40 deg.  I used Royal Purple in both grades and it really seemed to make a difference.  Also, he recomended XPR which is not a motorcycle specific oil, which my 20w-50 was.  It does make sense that these engines arent designed for the thicker oil and it definitely doesnt hurt to go a little thinner with the oil in these engines.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 01:13:20 am »
Chris,
 Oil "IS " the "Great Debate" !!!! ......................
Not just Legends Cars........... daily drivers, race cars, bikes, lawn mowers, weed eaters.....................

We all have our preferrences; Brands, Weights, Recommendations, Etc...

The synthetics Do seem to help with cooler oil temps. I am sure that there are dyno tests out there (online).
I just haven't spent the time to look them up.
I have my preferrences also.

Read up on the oil company sites.......................
Then make up your own mind.

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

Offline apexvinyltx

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 11:08:51 am »
So 10W40 .....How does that effect the clutch?  I like the idea of a cheaper oil as much as we change it.

RIchard
Houston , TEXAS
Richard Tomlin
Houston
Apex Vinyl---yes, we do that.
   Apex auto works---that too.
SCCA-NASA-BMWCCA-24hours of Lemons
MSR-Houston

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 11:14:45 am »
The weight doesnt affect the clutch, its the friction modifiers that are added to most non-motorcycle oils that can cause slippage
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 12:49:48 pm »
I know that I have read from engine builder Hank Scott. He's choice was Red Line or Amzoil. He has rebuilt more engines than I have ever even seen so I use him as a pretty good guide line. He did say you MUST use motorcycle oil and if you don't you will pay.

Scott
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

anything