Poll

Serios data only please.  What is your oil temp at the end of your feature race?

200-220 degrees F
3 (23.1%)
221-240 degrees F
1 (7.7%)
241-260 degrees F
0 (0%)
260-280 degrees F
2 (15.4%)
above 280 degrees F
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: oil debate info and filtration thoughts  (Read 14453 times)

Offline Kr36

• Evil Math Teacher
oil debate info and filtration thoughts
« on: March 08, 2012, 10:07:00 pm »
I have been reading everything about oils, cooling, and filtration I can find.  I found a pretty good source of information.  http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/518/motor-oils

You will have to keep looking through all the different articles since most of it is indirect information, then form your own opinion...  There is LOTS of good stuff here.  Keep reading.

Here is a thought: since most of us run bypass oil filters, most of our engines are running on unfiltered oil most of the time.  This is true during the MOST important time, at high rpm and high heat.  Here is what I think I'm going to do about it.  I have an extra remote filter adapter laying around somewhere, so I am going to separate my cooler circuit back to the factory cooler lines and put my current filter direct and isolated to the high pressure side of the system (two systems).  I will install the extra filter on the low pressure side so it will theoretically get 100% filtration.

Since the extra adapter I have is a Ford thread style, I will have two different filter styles, which I don't like...  It will also add about a quart of oil to the system which should provide a little help in the cooling side of the equation...  If I like it, I will change one of the adapters so I can use the same filters on both.

This is a thought in-progress, but since I have all the necessary parts and don't see any disadvantages, I am probably going to try it out.  I am also going to try to find a local company to do oil sampling to get serious data on oil life/contamination.  This could save me $$$ if I know exaclty what is happening to the oil.  Let me know what you think.

Charles

3/8+ dirt, 24 degree, flatter straights, goes from soup to dry slick

Offline legendsracer95

Re: oil debate info and filtration thoughts
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 12:24:05 am »
Sounds like an awesome idea!

Offline justfreaky

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 11:49:27 pm »
Charles,

Thought you might be interested in this. Explains a lot about oil, refining process, addidives, etc.
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Steve
Better to be hated for who you are, Than to be loved for who you are not.

knoxracing

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 09:11:45 am »
why do you run a bypass filter? There is no need to add anymore restriction to the oil flow. Your oil is filtered if you run a remote filter. Most engine failure is not from unfiltered oil, its from heat and bearing failure. Help me out, I think I am missing sometrhing here.

Offline Kr36

• Evil Math Teacher
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 01:47:06 am »
Bypass filter: For many oil filters... once a certain oil pressure is reached, the oil filter will allow unfiltered oil to pass into the engine.    I'm pretty sure most filters on the market are designed this way.  You can purchase "nonbypass" filters, but you will have to do some research to find them.  I would not reccomend using nonbypass filter for racing.

If Granny (in her grocery getter) never changes her oil filter, it will eventually stop filtering and become a plug in the system.  Eventually Granny's engine pukes all over main street from lack of oil pressure.  Believe it or not this story is based on real events (the names were changed to protect the innocent).  With a bypass filter, Granny's engine would have suffered an even slower death.  

I was trying to find a way to kill two birds.  Extra oil in the sytem to aid in cooling and extra filtration as the place to put the extra oil....  I don't think my idea will work though.  It appears that the second oil filter is restrictive enough to slow the low pressure side down to about nothing (too much pressure drop across the filter).  I have a couple more tests to try before I give up.  I may just add a canister cooler for the extra capacity???

Offline Kr36

• Evil Math Teacher
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 02:20:58 am »
Thanks Steve.  That is a good site.

Charles

Offline Kr36

• Evil Math Teacher
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:30:41 pm »
I agree.  The KISS principle is ususally better... I worked on the car for a couple hours tonight and decided to KISS.  The ideas are still stuck in my head but they will have to wait until next winter.

It would be nice if everyone with oil temp data could keep adding data to this page.  The more the better.  I would like to have at least 100 entries by the end of the season.  Please enter after each night of racing.  Feel free to add observations about your oil and your oil change frequency (color, smell, consistency, etc.)  Actual oil sample data would be great if anyone is doing that...

Are you able to see the results of the poll?  Thanks to all for helping the cause.

Charles

Offline dirkhenry3

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 09:21:43 pm »
when your oil pressure gets to a certain point the bypass does NOT just open, the bypass opens when there is a pressure difference in the input and output of the filter. so if you are running 40 psi with a clean filter, it is not bypassing the filter. correct me if I am wrong

to find out the correct meaning of a "bypass" filter check out http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx

I know Wix also makes bypass filters that I believe have a "B" suffix after the part number

Dirk
Dirk Henry
Dirk Henry Racing
320 761 3969

knoxracing

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 07:00:53 pm »
I know some filters also go to bypass if the input pressure is low or as you said there is a preesure difference, we run filters without a bypass spring.

Offline Winterracing

• www.Winterracing.net
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 11:00:57 pm »
I thought most of the wix filters had a bypass spring in them.  Not sure if this is true or not but we had some wix representatives talk to us about them in auto class.

Dan
www.winterracing.net

Offline Kr36

• Evil Math Teacher
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 12:59:02 am »
You are correct.  The bypass pressure relief valve operates on pressure difference.

I read that the pressure differential that opens the relief valve is  somewhere between 12 and 18 psi.  Don't know it for a fact, but my guess is that at 9000 rpm that pressure differential will be exceeded.  However, it is just a theory.

Offline Kr36

• Evil Math Teacher
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 11:52:35 pm »
I have the results from my first oil analysis.  5 races on Mobile 1, 3-1/2 qts of 10-40, plus one qt of 15-50.  See the attached pdf.

I am a little concerned about the amount of lead (Pb). Does anyone else have an oil sample to compare??  The lab indicated different mfg and bearings wear differently.  Maybe this level of Pb is normal, maybe it isn't.

Your thoughts?

Offline Dirt75

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 04:56:22 pm »
If you want to read a forum from the worlds biggest oil freaks try    bobistheoilguy.com  these guys have way too much time on their hands  ;D.

anything