Author Topic: Joe Gibbs XP3????  (Read 7112 times)

Offline brads2cl

Joe Gibbs XP3????
« on: March 04, 2012, 07:01:57 pm »
I am brand new into legends and any feedback here is helpful. The previous owner told me he has been running Joe Gibbs XP3, which is a higher viscosity than the XP1 (10w30 instead of 5w20). Is the hefty price tag worth it for this oil, almost $15 more per oil change than amsoil? Is anybody else running Joe Gibbs oil with some long lasting motors? And if so, which viscosity are you running? Thanks for any insight here I know there's a lot of opinions on which oil is best but what I'm looking for here is other people that are running the Joe Gibbs oil or have some experience with it.

Offline Legends57x

Re: Joe Gibbs XP3????
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:53:32 pm »
If engine is new, break it in using a non-synthetic 10W-30 or 10W-40 oil for a few races. After break-in, switch to a synthetic based oil 10W-40 oil such as Amsoil or Mobil 4T motorcycle oil(can be found at Fleet Farm, Advanced Auto, etc).  These oils are available for around $9-$11 per quart and are thus much more economical & readily available.   Also, make sure to use a motorcycle oil made to be used for a wet clutch application such as in the Yamaha FJ engines that are used in Legends racing.

Hope this helps!  ;D
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline brads2cl

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 10:02:50 pm »
The engine is not new, its a sealed 1250 with about 12 races on it. The oil he was using the entire time was Joe Gibbs XP3. It runs about 15 per quart in comparison to the amsoil. Thanks for the insight, I may just stick with what has been being used in the motor so far, the only thing I find weird is that it doesn't say its OK for wet clutch applications but I think there are some people running it.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 10:19:51 pm »
Per the Joe Gibbs website:

Viscosity typical of SAE 10W-30.

Product Features:

•A higher viscosity version of XP1, it offers outstanding high-temperature, high-shear protection.
•Designed for aluminum blocks and looser clearances, it utilizes multiple synthetic base oils and anti-wear and friction reducing additives to reduce friction and fight valve-train wear.
•Compatible with methanol and high octane
race fuels.
•Can be blended with XP0, XP1, XP2 or XP6. Consult our belending guide for blending specifications.

Applications:

•Sprint and Midget engines
•Late Model Stock
•GM Crate engines
•Pro-Cup engines
•360 Sprints
•NASCAR Spec engines
•Hydraulic lifters
•Engines with clearances under .0027

The part that bothers me is : anti-wear and friction reducing additives to reduce friction.
You need friction for proper clutch operation.
If it works, go ahead and use it, but i would switch to a motorcycle oil for wet clutch operation
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

knoxracing

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 08:33:33 am »
We have used XP1 and XP3, the price was not good, we no longer use it. As a dealer I know Gibbs prices just went up again. We had no issues, it was great oil but not worth the coin.  We are now using Schaeffers(spelled?),  I have a 1250 at USLC that had the Schaffers in it for a full season and they said it looked great. We will stick with it.

Offline brads2cl

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 10:36:11 pm »
Thanks for the insight everyone. I went ahead and paid to become a preferred customer with AMSOIL and I'm just going to go that route. I just cant justify the price tag of Joe Gibbs oil. Maybe if I had a sponsor other than my bi-weekly pay checks. HaHa ;D

Offline brads2cl

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 10:55:48 pm »
I just bought a case of AMSOIL 10w40 motorcycle oil and 2 quarts of 75w90 severe gear shipped to my house for 146. Thats much less than just one case of the gibbs.