Author Topic: Nasty Wreck at AMS in the Semi Pro Race.  (Read 11928 times)

Offline Racingtrader.ca

• Racing Classifeds
Nasty Wreck at AMS in the Semi Pro Race.
« on: February 11, 2012, 05:55:15 pm »
Pictures from Legends Nation Facebook Page

More Pictures: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.331043720267215.73826.117632834941639&type=3

Mark Williams
Owner
Racing Classifieds & Track Forums / Sticker Fool
Tel: 902-448-6903

Offline nosted

• Have fun!Go fast! TURN LEFT!
Re: Nasty Wreck at AMS in the Semi Pro Race.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 01:06:48 am »
Damn. I hope I never do that to my car. I hope everyone was okay!

Offline srxboy

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 08:59:30 am »
I was reading about it. The driver was ok.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 09:29:52 am »
That is why the racing at the big tracks is not smart.
if that were a traditional 1/4 or 1/3 mile track, it never would have happened as there would have been a catch fence, not a pole designed to withstand a hit from a 3400# stock car.

Glad he is OK
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline IraceLegends77

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 10:24:44 am »
Jim a lot of the tracks that we run have no fence or wall. I would say that AMS and Lowe's (or what ever it is called these days) are great tracks. I have never ran there but some of the track to include the nationals aren't what we would call state of the art in safety. I will be running a 3/8 mile high banked track this year with speeds that are really to fast for these cars. This my choice and I know what the consenqunces are if somthing goes wrong. I also know that bad things can happen anytime that I strap in the car but I would say that if something did go wrong that I would be better off at a venue like AMS or TMS where they have a trained safety crew. I'm not saying that all track have untrained safety crews but I know that I have been places where they were not. Look back at Springfield and remember the tow truck crossing the track under green........ ??? Just glad that he was OK and glad to see that the cage held up.
Scott Wilkerson #77   Vision Graphix Racing

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 11:05:54 am »
You're right as far as safety.
I guess I reflect back to when I took my big tumble. I'm glad it was at a run down track with wooden poles and a catch fence. The sudden stop that guy took has to painful this morning.
Oh yeah, I remember the tow truck incident well
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100

Offline NJRacer510

• Team 510 Racing
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 04:26:28 pm »
Justin Thomas was the driver, Atlanta was a 1/4 mile flat track the same as Lowe's which they run the summer shootout on. During the Summer shootout and other races held at Lowe's they install and temporary catch fence on the pit wall (back stretch). Atlanta never did this but because of this wreck it is now in discussion.

I use to think that big wrecks only happened at big high banked fast tracks until years ago when the Klascar Tour was racing at Mountain Speedway which is a flat track. It's like 1/3 mile track and as I was running in fourth place I watched a lap car get into the 2nd place car(Jason Rochelle) and he went flying through the air rolling across the catch fence into the flag stand. Now Justin's wreck at Atlanta is just more proof that it doesn't matter if the track is banked, flat, small, or large. Bad wrecks happen in open wheel racing no matter what and who ever says Legends are not open wheel cars is just ignorant. Although the fenders help and look nice, it doesn't take much to rip one off and wheel hop.

The only thing we could do as drivers to keep things like this from happening is race smarter and with more respect for one another.
TODD McCOLLUM #m1
www.TEAM510RACING.com

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 08:33:30 am »
I have to agree with Gimp on this one, their is no reason for that clip to break through the weld like that.  Somone did a hack job on that clip replacement.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 08:37:18 am »
Jim a lot of the tracks that we run have no fence or wall. I would say that AMS and Lowe's (or what ever it is called these days) are great tracks. I have never ran there but some of the track to include the nationals aren't what we would call state of the art in safety. I will be running a 3/8 mile high banked track this year with speeds that are really to fast for these cars. This my choice and I know what the consenqunces are if somthing goes wrong. I also know that bad things can happen anytime that I strap in the car but I would say that if something did go wrong that I would be better off at a venue like AMS or TMS where they have a trained safety crew. I'm not saying that all track have untrained safety crews but I know that I have been places where they were not. Look back at Springfield and remember the tow truck crossing the track under green........ ??? Just glad that he was OK and glad to see that the cage held up.

Oh you mean most tracks dont make you use a bumper jack to tow a car off the track while sitting in the back of an ATV  >:(  Those idiots that run Springfield should be banned from promoting races until they get some common sense and safety training.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 02:37:35 pm »
I have to say that after watching the roof cam video, that the wreck was 100% his fault.
If he wouldn't have tried to take out the leader halfway through the first lap, it wouldn't have happened.
Luckily he was un-injured, and hopefully everyone learned a lesson
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
(262)255-7100