Author Topic: was lurking - new member- setup help please  (Read 6780 times)

Offline Kr36

• Evil Math Teacher
was lurking - new member- setup help please
« on: January 16, 2012, 12:28:23 am »
I'll try to make the long story short...er.  I raced hobby stock for 3 years. Bought a legend 2 years ago but was only able to go to one race.  I had to skip last summer because we experienced a flood.  Yes, It was bad, but I saved my house (sort of), and my race cars.

I am an evil high school math teacher and have been accused of over analyzing suspension geometry  ;D  Anyway, in the one race I did go to, I learned that I need to drive different, then I read a post by the gimpster talking about lowering the cross and driving in harder.  That is how I like to drive...

This is what I have 200-LF, 225-RF, 200-LR, and 180-RR.  I can't remember the air pressure, will have to check my notes.  I was thinking about putting the 180 on the LR and going to a 160 on the RR.  I also thought I would drop the car as low as legal, and do the following LF+2.5 camber, +2 caster, RF-3.0 camber, +3 caster  -  Shorten the right side wheelbase by about 1/4 to compensate for rear steer and push the right side tires as far to the right as legal (and move left side tires toward the centerline).  I was thinking about setting it up 51% left side, 51% rear, and 52% cross (static).  But now I am more interested in gimpster's setup.  I want to be at the edge of legal.  Oh, you should know that I weigh 225 and if I want to reduce my car weight I have to go on a diet.  Probably not going to happen.

I understand how it all works together but I seriously lack the experiences of trying different things to really get a handle on this little race car.

In my hobby car, I drove in hard, let off the gas just before mid turn then got right back on it.  I had that car setup well and won many races...  It appears that many legend drivers (at my track) let off way early then slowly power up through the corners.  Yes, I got passed at mid turn but it was a good night of racing.  I didn't wreck, didn't spin out, and I didn't finish last. :-\  Thanks for your help

Charles

3/8+ dirt, 24 degree, flatter straights, goes from soup to dry slick

Offline djracing

• Global Moderator
    • DJ Ross Racing
Re: was lurking - new member- setup help please
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 03:10:35 pm »
What type of track are you racing on? Size, Banking, surface (dry, tacky) etc.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 04:41:42 pm »
3/8+ dirt, 24 degree, flatter straights, goes from soup to dry slick.
Try swapping the rear springs to loosen it up.
I prefer my car tight, and I run 50.5 cross
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Kr36

• Evil Math Teacher
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 09:50:13 pm »
Thanks!!
3/8+ dirt, 24 degree, flatter straights, goes from soup to dry slick

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 11:11:26 pm »
Off topic here, but word on the street is that there will be more teching than there has been in recent years.
I'm all for it.
Just an FYI.

Welcome back Gimpster  :)
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline djracing

• Global Moderator
    • DJ Ross Racing
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 12:47:48 pm »
3/8+ dirt, 24 degree, flatter straights, goes from soup to dry slick.

I must have missed that in his sig lol