Author Topic: Stagger questions  (Read 11251 times)

Offline Kerry 2

Stagger questions
« on: January 11, 2012, 04:58:38 pm »
Hi again, as you know by now  I am new to this racing..... I've been reading some setup sheets from our local legends group and where stagger is discussed, one of the things that confused me is where it says to put the smallest tire on the right rear. Now thats negative camber if I am correct. Is it normal to run negative camber on asphalt? My buddy is a front running late model guy and that is totally oposite of the way they setup his car.

Thanks

Offline Legends57x

Re: Stagger questions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 10:04:35 pm »
Kerry,

Putting a smaller tire on the RR would result in negative stagger(not camber).  Stagger from right to left(either front or rear) is the difference in the circumference of the tires as mounted at racing air pressure.  Most racers do race with the larger circumference tire mounted on the RR.  Stagger affects setups differently on dirt vs. asphalt, with larger differences in stagger usually seen on dirt.  Stagger can actually help with turning a car thru the corner, depending on the overall setup(springs, ride heights, weight %, etc.)   Camber is the angle or tilting if you will of the front wheels as measured from the spindle.  In other words, if the top of the tire is leaning in toward the center of the car, that is negative camber.   If the top of the tire is leaning away from the car, that is positve camber.  You will also hear the term Caster.  Caster is the angle or tilt of the spindle assembly leaning either toward rear of car(positive) or toward front of car(negative).  Postive caster results in making front wheels straighten out easier, but makes it harder to turn the steering wheel.

Hope this helps you understand these terms better!  Good luck!  ;D
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline Kerry 2

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 12:13:51 am »
Very well explained and thanks.... I simply used the wrong term when I said negative camber rather than negative stagger. But I really like the way you explained it in such a simple way to understand.

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 08:35:54 am »
Yeah, for an engineer, that was rather well said.
His wife must have transcribed it for him  ;D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Legends57x

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 11:15:31 am »
Jim,

F.Y.I...I am not classified as an engineer, I am actually a technician, so you stand to be corrected  ::)

Also, after being involved in racing for 30+ years either in the pits or behind the wheel, I should know what those terms mean, or at least I think so... ;D
Mark Ritger
INEX Legends #1x

Offline VMS Motorsports

• Global Moderator
    • VMSmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 05:17:37 pm »
Not questioning your knowledge at all, you've been racing almost as long as I've been alive,  just found it odd there were no co-efficient of drag comparisons as related to molecular protrusion of pi or some goofy sh1t like that
 ;D
JIM BUCHER
VMS Motorsports
Worldwide Legends Parts Supplier
(262)255-7100
http://www.vmsmotorsports.com/

Offline Racinjj

• Steenbergen Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 09:36:09 am »
If he were an engineer you wouldnt have been able to understand it  ;D  Your much better off asking a technician.
www.JeffSteenbergen.com

Racecar spelled backwards is racecar. Racecar upside down is expensive.

anything